Premed 101 Forums

Queens Question

Guest MacJax

Guest MacJax

I was wondering if someone could clarify Queen's admission policy for an applicant who does NOT have 3 full-time undergraduate years. For example, I have completed my BSc, but for 3 of my 4 years, I took 9 courses (1/2 courses) and the remaining one in the summer. My fourth year was "full-time".

Thanks.

MJ:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PR356

I don't think it matter's if you took 9 courses one year. I can tell you I only took 9 half courses in 1st year and I got accepted here after 3 years of undergrad. Although, it shoulk be noted with course weightings- eg courses with labs- it was equivalent to 10 courses, but nonetheless OMSAS made it look more like 4.5 full year courses.

In any case, if you want official clarification, contact the undergrad office.

Guest JAMIRA

Thanks for your response, PR356. But there was one thing I didn't really get ... Are you saying that courses with lab components are worth more at Queens?

Another question... I have done a little more research on Queens, and from what I understand, if your cumulative GPA doesn't meet the cut-off, then they will take your GPA from your last two full-time years. Currently I have only one "full-time" year (the other 3 consist of 9 half-courses and 1 in the summer). However, I will be doing an extra full-time year next year. So, will they grant me an interview if my MCATs and one full-time year is above the cut-off, given that an offer of acceptance will be conditional upon my second full-time year being above the cut-off? (I hope that wasn't completely confusing...)

OR... do I have to complete my second full-time year before even applying?

I am really relying on the weighting formula for Queens because my cumulative GPA is only 3.59, whereas my one full-time year is well over the cutoff (and I'm sure my second one will be, too! :D ).

~Jamira (aka "MacJax")

Hey Jamira,

I think you need to have the two full-time years completed at the time of application, so that the marks you submit to OMSAS include the two years. Based on that, you'd get an interview. After that, you'd also have to keep your grades up in your final year before starting class in September.

You're best off asking the Undergrad Office directly, Tel (613) 533 2542, Fax (613) 533 3190 or jeb8@post.queensu.ca - it seems like you're a pretty specific case, and I'd hate for you to base your applications on an unofficial interpretation you glean off the message board.

Good luck!

• 3 years later...

Archived