Premed 101 Forums

What's Up Doc

Guest Da Birdie

Guest Da Birdie

hi guys

does anyone know when the med frosh handbook / survival manual / "what's up doc?" will be mailed out ?? :\

also...does anyone know how to travel between toronto and kingston cheaply? I've been taking VIA rail several times and it costs $90 for a roundtrip..I heard Trentway coaches cost much less ($70?), is that the cheapest way to get to kingston?

Thanx for your input~!

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey Da Birdie,

In my experience, CoachCanada (formerly Trentway) is indeed the cheapest way to make the trip. Also, during the school year, the AMS (the main student government at Queen's) operates the TriColor Express in association with CoachCanada. It runs on weekends (with more trips around Christmas) and departs directly from campus, thus allowing you to save cab fare. Tickets can be purchased right on campus at the UBS (Used Bookstore).

I think I read that you're an Alberta resident? If you have plans to fly to Alberta at any point, there is a bus that runs from campus to Pearson airport a few times per day; however, the trip is more expensive than the one to downtown TO. (It was $78 round trip last time I took it -- about $20 more expensive than the downtown trip.)

Guest Sarah371

You are also forgetting that a number of student's in your class will have cars. Almost everyweekend someone is heading to TO and would be happy to take you for some gas money.

Tricolour is 24 dollars each way and stops in Whitby, Scarborough, Union Station and the Bay and Dundas bus terminal. Cheaper if you buy books of tickets.

Coach Canada is 61 dollars return with student ticket, tickets are open ended with return good for up to one year.

Guest governorgeneral

aside (from what ManitobaMed brought up) - or, instead of flying to TO from out west you could take westjet to ottawa and bus/train it from there. i'm pretty sure it would work out cheaper. (quick check - combined westjet/via regina-kingston return for $450, vs who-knows-what on AC. i'm sure you could get good deals coming from alberta too.)

any news on that "what's up doc" mailing?

Guest Da Birdie

Thank u all for your input~!!

hmm since i'm not a queen's student yet...guess this summer the cheapest way to get around between tor and kingston, without a car, is by coach canada / trentway.. : )

(btw yup i'm an Alta. resident finished 3 yrs undergrad @ UT)

(hmm now westjet flies east...maybe I really should look into it for some good deals!)

Guest Meds 05

Apparently the What's Up Doc should be going out last week, which means they haven't gotten around to it (god know why).

Hopefully this week they'll start the mailouts with your registration info etc.

Later

Guest Da Birdie

According to a reliable source (2nd yr Q med), the What's Up Doc has just been printed and is waiting to be mailed out later this week~

So we should be expecting it in the mailbox sometime next week :)

Guest Sarah371

Alex,

Still have 4 spots left with someone coming to look this weekend.....you should tell everyone how cool it is top be a member!! Hope your summer is going good.

SARAH

Guest MellowYellow

Anybody received this yet? Anyone know when it'll be mailed out? I'm going on a trip soon and I'd like to have all the info I need before I leave.

Guest Monica411

I just wanted to point out that the link above has the "Meds Yell" which contains the password(s) to various Queen's student pages containing student phone #s, emails etc.

Perhaps someone at Queen's should advise the necessary people(s) to correct this as I'm sure the intent of password protecting a page is to secure protected info from the general public. And away from happy clickers like yours truly.

:)

Guest DownUpDown

Quick question -- for those who have recently gotten an acceptance, will "What's up doc" be mailed our way? Or do we have to contact a specific source?

thanks...

Guest governorgeneral

i stopped by the school of medicine office on tuesday, so if you didn't get anything in the mail yet (i got the impression they had _not_ sent anything yet) and really wanted to get your hands on a printed copy of What's Up Doc they could give you one. it's pretty big! if you're in town to look for apts be sure to pick it up and read before you take anything. they weren't able to give me anything else i could get started on (forms etc).

(they were also able to confirm that i really was getting in and my spot was secure... something i was a bit paranoid about 'cause we didn't send in any deposits yet).

Guest Da Birdie

I (actually my dad) received the huge package from queen's yesterday (monday) in Calgary. It contains registration guide, survival manual (what's up doc), and some paperwork to be sent back to queen's :P

If you haven't gotten the package you should expect it soon :)

Guest summervirus

Don't worry, the packages will be coming. I got my package on Monday. (I, like Da Birdie, also live in Alberta). :)

I'll be turning down Queen's though because I prefer to go to the UofA. (That's good news to anyone that's on the Queen's waiting list). :D

Guest UofCMeds2005

Queen's alum tip... Tricolour express - is super cheap!!! During the school year the tricolour runs every thurs/fri to Toronto/Ottawa and every Sunday return. It is a Queen's express bus that departs from main campus. They also run special holiday buses to make sure students return home cheap...

Guest Da Birdie

hmm... this section is getting a bit too quiet these past few days...

our posts are trailing uwo's by nearly 300 and are the lowest amongst all ontario schools! Anybody knows the reason behind this?!

Possibilities:

1. we Queen's people are just too shhhhhy

2. we Queen's people actually think be4 we speak

3. we Queen's people are just too busy

- cuz of work

- cuz of play

- cuz of gf(s) / bf(s)

4. we Queen's people actually have a life!

5. Queen's is the most unpopular among all ON med schools?!?!

-----------------------------------

sigh..

has anyone completed the immunization requirements/suggestions listed in What's Up Doc ?

I try to stay away from needles whenever possible :P

Guest Sumi23

Hey Da Birdie,

I don't know about why people don't post here that often but I will tell you about the immunization stuff. I had to go to the doctor just once to get all the needles done. I had some blood taken for the Hep B antibody titre and I had to get an injection for the TB test. I had to go back after 2 days to get my TB test read. I think I may have to take my MMR shots and the diptheria, tetanus and polio shots again. Yep... sounds like a lot of needles but you may not have to go through too much if your shots are updated.

Cheers,

Sumi23

• 3 years later...

Archived