Premed 101 Forums

U of A experience

Guest kantu

Guest kantu

hey,

does anyone out here in ezboard-land have any opinions about the quality of U of A dentistry that they'd be willing to share? (for example: how up-to-date the equipment and instruction are, the instructors/faculty, general attitudes, and anything else you feel impacts the quality of a dental education.) also, does anyone know about the attitudes toward holistic dentistry at U of A?

thanks.

Guest kantu

hey,

yeah, got my acceptance letter this past thursday! (i was pretty surprised.) thus - am trying to root out more info about u of a. congrats to you, by the way.

Guest kantu

hey,

i am originally from calgary but i've been living in vancouver for almost 5 years now.

also - thanks dentforsure. and i'm still not sure whether i'd rather go to ubc or u of a, which is why i'm trying to learn more about u of a's program. i think i'm leaning towards u of a tho.

Guest apical meristems

Hey kantu,

Thank you and congratulations! I know that at the U of A, you begin pre-clinical activities starting in the summer. The program is pretty strong. I hear that UBC waits to start anything dentistry related until third year (correct me if I am wrong).

Later,

ap

Guest madflossin

not sure if its really relevant to u kantu .... but to me the biggest deciding factor between schools - is always the money - I have to be realistic ... the less debt the better

with that in mind ....

projected costs for class of 2009

U of A = $96,240

UBC = $171,957

(stats taken from both respective websites)

I'm not sure how much all that @#%$ everyone talks about ubc's program is tru - but it seems that its the most trashed talked program of all the canadian schools ..... on top of being the most expensive

ur in the enviable position of gettin in at 2 dental schools .... just dont take too long deciding - sux to be on the waiting list and waitin for someone else to decide not to go to the only school ur waitlisted at ...... especially when u cant apply for loans or find housing till u know ur in for sure

congrats to everyone that got in with early acceptance at U of A

Guest kantu

thanks for all the input.

and yes, the price of the program is probably the largest factor in my decision process too.

and as a sidenote - i'm thinking that ubc will probably be better over the next couple of years because of the new facilities. (from what i've seen of it, the new med school building looks amazing.)

Guest madflossin

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=1&stop=20

its the thread on "is UBC dental this bad" - if the link doesnt work - just search for it

even though the new facilities might be great ... it seems everyone's concern with ubc is the tiny patient pool (nobody travels all the way out to ubc for dental work) and the incredibly late start of the clinical aspect

nobody wants to come out of dental school unprepared, undertrained and inexperienced ...... with the highest debt of any canadian school

hope u decide either way - soon :D

Guest snoop99

Yes.. Lets have you drop, and then try to drag 15 more ppl to drop UBC with you so I can get in haha. I guess my chances are about 0.1%

Archived