Premed 101 Forums

Have I missed out? Please Read This

Guest Sam

I'd like to know if Queen's looks for favourably on applicants with a master's degree. I don't have one. Some days I kick myself wishing I'd done one. I've been out of school for one year now without steady work. I think of people I know who are now doing interesting research and getting articles published and I feel like that would make them much more appealing to Queen's adcoms. I have quite a few years experience in health care and I did a 4th year reseach project (nothing published), but I sometimes worry that I made a mistake by not completing a masters. Some one please shed some light(preferably the encouraging variety). Thanks.

Guest strider2004

Sam,

Out of 80 people, the class of 2004 has about 10-15 MSc graduates. The adcom is looking for people with interesting experiences. It doesn't have to be from research. There are people who have travelled around the world, become artists, chefs, dancers, you name it! The average age of matriculation is about 25 so over half the class didn't even have enough time to do a masters. And of the rest, only a fraction did. Don't worry about it.

Strider

Guest RAK2001

Strider,

I am going to Queen's meds this fall, and I am doing the scramble for an apt. Someone gave me the Queen's housing link to on-line listings, but I want something a little nicer, and preferably not houses with apts in them... Where would be a good rental place to visit, and how far away from campus is reasonable (I do have a car)... Thanks alot.

RAK

PS - To Sam,

I think you should do a Masters ONLY if you enjoy research. I did one, and liked my field alot... However another buddy did a MSc with LOTS of pubs and did not even get waitlisted at Queen's (and regrets spending so much time in the lab). You'll be locked into two years if you choose to do one so think carefully.

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hi,

Queen's does consider your application differently if you are a Master's student. That is, if you have failed to achieve their GPA requirement with your undergraduate courses, if you possess a graduate degree you will pass this undergraduate GPA cut-off and will be considered for interview based on your MCAT scores and extracurriculars.

Regarding the MCAT scores, all applicants must meet the cut-offs posted by Queen's at the time of application consideration. Therefore, graduates and undergraduates must meet those minimums in order to be considered further.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Hi Rak2001. I guess I will see you in the fall, I'll be starting 1st year med too. I'm going back to look for an apartment in a week and a half (I'm from Vancouver). If you hear of anything nice, let me know, I don't want to be in a run-down place either!

And Sam, I didn't do a masters and got in but it was my second try. I took a year off after my undergrad and it was the best thing I could have ever done. I would suggest that for anyone. Do something you really want to do, travel, etc. because it is a long haul once you are in med!

Guest strider2004

Rak and Oz,

The best place to live would be Ontario St. Rent for a 1-bedroom should be about $700 inclusive. However, I'd try to get something soon because those apartments are in high demand. Let's see...the best thing to do would be to go into a search engine and look up "kingston property management ontario". There are a few property management places that could really help you. One of them owns 3 buildings on Ontario street that are about a 10 min walk to Botterell Hall - where you'll be spending most of your time. There's also a website but I've forgotten the name of the company. I've found that because of med school, I've forgotten many things that I used to know. Too many drugs and microbes. This might happen to you. But I digress.

So anyways, you can also check out the queens website for student housing. They have a good list of places. That's where I got my place next year. Most students live within 15-20 mins walking distance to school. Parking is possible but limited. It costs $40/mth to park on campus and there's a long waiting list. It's $100/mth to park in the hospital parking and $20/mth to park at meds house though you have to be a member. However, I AM a member of meds house and have lots of fun there. I'm the social exec next year so I'll be organising the parties.

Strider AKA Alex

Guest RAK2001

Thanks Strider/Alex

I am planning to join Meds house (looks like a ton o' fun), so I'd definately park for $20 a month. If the name of that property company is Homestead, I might be out of luck. They said that housing is REALLY limited right now... It really sucks to have to look now, but I am going to go and sign up for ANYTHING decent in July. I'll definately keep Ontario St. in mind.

PS- To Oz... e-mail me @ rkuchinad@excite.ca and I can give you some 411 on who to call after I go down (July 3rd).

Raul

Guest strider2004

Rak,

Before you head down there, e-mail Jason at 6jdp1@qlink.queensu.ca . He has a 1-bedroom and's a bit o nthe expensive side($800) but REALLY nice. It's a block away from Ontario St(it's actually on King St or Wellington I believe). Just tell him Alex sent you. Hopefully it'll still be available.

• 5 years later...

Archived