Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted

Guest Dawn

Guest Dawn

How many people are accepted outright and how many are placed on a waiting list? What are my chances of being accepted from the waiting list?

Guest wingnut

The following information comes from the Association of Canadian Medical Colleges who yearly publish a book detailing admission statistics for Canadian Medical Schools.

For the 1999/2000 cycle Queens made 129 offers of admission to fill 73 spots (filled first year places plus def. admissions). In 1998/1999, 136 offers to fill 77. In1997/1998, 121 offers to fill 76.

This will provide some indication of the possibility of being called from the waiting list. Of course the key question is whether Queens sends out an initial number of offers equal to the available places and then draws from the waiting list or whether they send out more offers initally than places, knowing that a propotion of these offers will be refused. Additionally, I am not aware of whether the new seats announced have been allocated yet.

Finally, 52% of the most recent class at queens had applied two or more times before being accepted - persistance has its rewards. Hope some of this helps and best of luck.

Guest wingnut

According to the latest dean's newsletter, as posted on the Queens med website, Queens has tentatively accepted 10 places from the new distribution for this year and 10 for the next. That means 90 seats are available this year and 100 in 2002. Good luck to all who are waiting.

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Wingnut,

Thank you for being so helpful! My knowledge of Queens is slight at best, and I'm really grateful that you could contribute your knowledge. I went and looked for that announcement; it can be found in the following link, on page 4 of the 12 pages.

meds.queensu.ca/THEMEDSCHOOL.PDF

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 3 weeks later...
Guest strider2004

I unfortunately can't tell you the exact size of the waiting list. I know that there ARE rejection letters sent out. My best guess is that on May 31st they accept 80, reject 100 and waitlist a bit over 200. About 40 people were drawn from the waiting list last year but remember that there will also be a revised waiting list. After June 15th, the list is reshuffled to see who has accepted an offer from another school. They are then struck off the waiting list. The list might shrink by 50-100 spots. Therefore it's very difficult to see how long the list is after June 15th.

Also expect 10 people to be pulled from the list sometime this summer. Last year, it happened August 18th. Hopefully it'll be sooner this year.

By being on the waiting list, you still have a very good chance. Have faith and good luck.

Alex

QueensMeds 2004

• 5 years later...

Archived