Premed 101 Forums

Admission chances now??

Guest svp2k5

I posted this question on the western discussion board as well.

I received an interview at both Western and Queens. I am fairly certain that many people received both interviews as the requirements were quite similar.

How many people do you think received interviews at both schools? It seems that if a large number have, it would increase the probability of getting into either school. Does anyone have any idea what the numbers actually are (i.e. total interview invites vs common interview invites for the two schools).

It's really hard to say what your chances are. Because of the cutoff policies, there will be significant overlap of the two schools. Western's cutoffs are a bit higher though, so some people who interview at Queen's won't be interviewing at Western.

I'm not sure how many Western interviews, but I know Queen's usually interviews between 400-450. The cutoffs are actually determined from the applicant pool in order to have approximately 400 interviewees. I think Western interviews about the same number...but I'm not sure.

Queen's and Western also have different criteria for admission. At Queen's, once you get the interview, your grades and MCAT no longer count. You get graded 50% interview and 50% PIF, essays, references. At Western, I think your GPA and MCAT still have some weight.

Although it varies each year, Queen's goes through a significant portion of the waitlist to fill the class. Last year they actually went through the entire list. So even though 100 are admitted to the class out of 400 interviewees, your chances are actually about 50%.

Good luck at your interviews!

• 1 month later...
Guest makdaddy08

Yeah Western interviews around 400 students. I also believe there are close to 200 offers sent out to fill the class as well. Don't forget, not only do ppl interview at these 2 schools, but there are now 4 other med schools in the province.

Our process here is after the interview, its interview 50%, marks 25%, MCAT 25%.

So if you've made it to this stage, your chances are fairly good that you will receive an offer, if not a few. Good luck!

Archived