Premed 101 Forums

Any BBAs/BComms out there in med school?

Hey,

I am going for my BBA and would like to know - has anyone here gone from a BBA/BComm straight to med school?

If so, where are you/did you go for med school, and what was/is it like?

What kind of volunteer work/ecs did you have? Business ones, or health-related ones?

Thanks a lot.

Hey 101,

I did my BBA (economics) worked for a couple of years, did my MBA, surfed the money markets for years, took time off to have kids, and then eventually went back to school to take some sciences before heading to medschool. I did it that way b/c I thought business was where I wanted to be long-term, but that changed for me after a few major life experiences...

Why are you thinking of doing a BBA? Are you pretty sure you are going to do meds afterwards? Doing a BBA or MBA will help you hone your people skills, organizational approach, and critical thinking skills. But on the down side, I always feel that I don't have ENOUGH science background for medicine. I am doing fine, but I definately need to do a bit more reading to understand some things than lots of people in my class who are totally grounded in the sciences. Are you taking science pre-reqs as part of your BBA?

Good luck, Roxy

Edited to say: I did clinical volunteering in a hospital setting - palliative care, and did some volunteer research with a community-health group. With a business background, I think you REALLY need to get some serious clinical volunteer experience to show the adcom that you are serious about this and that you are comfortable in the clincal setting.

Hi there,

I'm another one of the folks who did business before medical school (MBA plus ~9 years in the private sector). Before entering medical school, however, I took 1.5 years to tackle a MSc in Epidemiology, which I felt helped with the admissions process (and my undergrad was a BSc in Human Biology so there was no problem with the science content of the MCAT or the pre-clerkship years' material). As for volunteering, I had both: medical and business.

Good luck to you,

Kirsteen

Its nice to see I'm not alone. I took all high school sciences and did fairly well, but am now at Schulich business. Its a rigorous program with no real room to pursue many science electives (mainly b/c i only have 1 elective per year). However, I hope to take some summer school bio, chem, and maybe biochem eventually. I am actually considering pursuing a BSc after my BBA, however, the problem is, that since Schulich is kind of separate from the rest of York, not a single course can count as an elective, so my BSC will likely take another 3-4 years after my BBA.

Also, Roxy, i do agree with the whole volunteering thing. Right now I'm only volunteering at some York clubs (including the Pre-Med and Health club), but hope to get some clinical experience next year.

Darla, I intend to apply at the end of my 3rd yr (next year, and at the end of my BBA). First I'll only apply to McMaster (especially if I don't have all my prereqs done by the end of my BBA), and if don't get in in that try, I'll likely build up my prereqs and MCAT knowledge and write the exam. Since I am applying to Mac though, I know that a REALLY high GPA is necessary (right now i have an 8.1 on York's 9-point scale), and I also need a lot of volunteer work. However, since this applies pretty much to every med school, it will benefit me even if I don't get in on my first try. Where are you applying?

Thnx for your opinions!

Archived