Premed 101 Forums

Should I take science or the MCAT...Which is easier?

im just wondering about the easiest way to become a doctor.

Is it smarter to take a year or two in science or just study for the MCAT.

And wut kind of grades wud i need in high school to get into both.

You seem a bit confused:

1. You can't get into medical school straight from high school

2. Medical schools require some sort of bachelor degree as a pre-req to apply

3. Medical schools don't care about your high school grades

4. High school grades only matter when you are entering your undergrad program

Hi

The posts that scrubbed gave are really good. If you are interested in medicine then look on the internet and find out more about what you need to do. Just to explain, assuming that you are going into or in hightschool:

In highschool you want to get the best grades possible so that you can apply to university. To know what kind of grades you need go to the university website for the schools you are interested in and look at what grades they require. Also look at what classes they expect you to take. For instance if you are thinking of going into a science program in university you will need to take certain classes in highschool.

Then in 12th grade you apply for university, and hopefully are accepted. It doesn't matter which university to go to in Canada, just pick your favorite. Then in university you will want to get good grades and take the classes that you need to so that you can go to medical school.

During university (usually after 2 years) you will study to take the MCAT. This is separate from university classes. You have to both take the MCAT and do a university degree. After you have written the MCAT then you can apply to medical school, just like you applied to university. Then you will find out if you got into medical school and are going to be a doctor.

Just thought that I would add my two cents.

First of all I want to say that you can go to Med School after highschool. There are a handful of universities in Europe that offer programs (most 6 years I believe), but the one that I know about is in Hungary and I think it would be tough to get back into Canada. Not the route I would take...

Highschool marks only matter with undergrad scholarship and uni. admission. For example I think the cut off for UBC science students entering 2006 it 92%...

My biggest suggestion is don't be in a rush. If you rush to become a doctor you miss out on all of the life experiences and lessons that are really what is important. Stop to smell the roses comes to mind...

Anyhow, whatever you decide to do I wish you luck and hope that you don't rush into anything. There is no shortcut to becomming a doctor, especially a good one. Enjoy the scenery on the way.

Just thought that I would add my two cents.

First of all I want to say that you can go to Med School after highschool. There are a handful of universities in Europe that offer programs (most 6 years I believe), but the one that I know about is in Hungary and I think it would be tough to get back into Canada. Not the route I would take...

My response was in lieu of only considering Canada.

Hi

The posts that scrubbed gave are really good. If you are interested in medicine then look on the internet and find out more about what you need to do. Just to explain, assuming that you are going into or in hightschool:

In highschool you want to get the best grades possible so that you can apply to university. To know what kind of grades you need go to the university website for the schools you are interested in and look at what grades they require. Also look at what classes they expect you to take. For instance if you are thinking of going into a science program in university you will need to take certain classes in highschool.

Then in 12th grade you apply for university, and hopefully are accepted. It doesn't matter which university to go to in Canada, just pick your favorite. Then in university you will want to get good grades and take the classes that you need to so that you can go to medical school.

During university (usually after 2 years) you will study to take the MCAT. This is separate from university classes. You have to both take the MCAT and do a university degree. After you have written the MCAT then you can apply to medical school, just like you applied to university. Then you will find out if you got into medical school and are going to be a doctor.

That's pretty much what you need. One thing to consider if you are writing the MCAT after second year, plan your courses well to do the minimal amount of studying. So take Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, possibly leave physics until second year, genetics, and human physiology in 2nd year. Not all of these courses are necessary, but having taken organic chemistry (1 and 2) especially, I think, will make your life easier come study time. Good luck.

Archived