Premed 101 Forums

Question about a Referee?

Hello,

A few days ago, I asked my volunteer coordinator to be a referee for my application this year. She accepted, I was delighted, and we said we'd talk about it later.

Unfortunately, she sent me an email to all of the volunteers saying that she had to go to Australia for the next few weeks because of the impending death of someone near to her. Of course, I wished her well, and thought nothing of it.

But now, I'm concerned about whether she'll get back in time for the OMSAS deadlines. What should I do? Does OMSAS accept late letters of reference? I didn't want to mention it to her, because it'd be terribly insensitive. At the same time, we've done alot of things together, and I'd really like her to be one of my references.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

The deadlines to have referees submit their letters isn't a strict one. I've heard of cases where the school ended up getting a referee's letter in December, and the applicant was still considered. Nevertheless, most of these cases involved the referee commiting to writing the letter, and then during the last stages something came up and he/she was unable to meet the deadline.

Have you printed out the confidential assessment form and handed it to her? if that's the case I suggest that you e-mail her in a few days and ask her if she can still write the letter for you in time. If she has doubts, you will have to find another referee.

Archived