Premed 101 Forums

Being a prosector

Hi there,

I'm a Meds09 and I was just offered a prosecting position for Gross Anatomy this year. I'd like to do this, at least part time. I was wondering if anyone who has previously been a prosector is floating around the board and could give me some insight into what it's like.

I enjoyed anatomy in first year, but that was the first time I'd taken it. I've never done any dissection before (well, beyond pigs in Grade 12). Will this be a problem? Would a book like Grant's dissector be helpful (I have Netter and Moore)? Are any instructions given out while the dissecting is going on, or are you pretty much on your own?

I was also wondering about the part time vs. full time position. As I mentioned earlier, I'm leaning towards a part time position, dissecting every other week. How did previous second years find the time committment was, especially approaching exam time? I don't have many other extracurricular committments right now, but I'd like to be able to keep on top of schoolwork. I think this is definitely possible, but I'd be interested in hearing about other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Erin

Archived