Premed 101 Forums

Student Loans

Guest SugarFreeK

Guest SugarFreeK

Hi,

I thought I'd start a forum for student loans since it may be a major issue for many students entering dental school.

I was wondering if you can get a student loan before school starts or do you have to wait until you are registered. If so, what is the procedure? Also, do you have to get it from a branch in the province you are attending school or you can get it anywhere? I am thinking about RBC medical/dental loans in particular.

Thanks for your input.

All the best to those starting dental school this year as well as those waiting to hear.

Sugar Free :P

Guest per te

Hi SugarFreeK,

If you have been accepted to a dental school, you can talk to the banks now and sign the documents before school begins. However, until they receive a registered class list from the school in the fall, you likely won't be able to access the money.

As for choosing a branch, it's helpful to choose the branch that has the most experience dealing with professional student loc's nearest to the school you are going to be attending. If you call the bank's 1800number, I'm sure you'll get that information. When I signed up for ScotiaBank's loc last year online, they automatically prepared the loan documents to be signed at a specific branch in Toronto although I was in London at the time since I indicated that I will be going to UofT. If, however, you live very far away from the branch I'm sure they could accommodate you... hope this helps...

Good luck,

~*per te*~

Archived