Premed 101 Forums

Filling up all 48 items for ABS necessary??

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if the OMSAS autobiographical sketch items need to be completely filled up! There are a maximum on 48 items, but I only have about 30 good items listed. It just so happened that I've focussed most of my time on a few extracurricular activites instead of pursuing many of them, so that doesn't show through for this sketch. I'm more concerned about putting another 18 items of filler (e.g. "I go jogging") that will dilute the quality activities/awards that I have already listed. Will it hurt my application I don't max-out my list?

If it matters, I'm applying to all of the Ontario schools only.

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey,

The 48 spaces are the maximum number of entries that you can list, and the schools in no way require that you fill out all 48 of them. If your concerned that the quality of your experiences aren't represented well, you can seperate an activity into components (eg: if you volunteered with St. John Ambulance you can enter one line for patient care, another for first aid presentations etc.) so that all your activities show through. However, don't go overboard with this strategy as it may come across as space filling.

I would recommend putting as much as you can on your sketch that will show the admin who you are and what your interests are. Think of every award and scholarship you have received. When I was filling out mine I forgot to put in some of the volunteer day to day things that I do. But don't be concerned if you don't have the entire sketch filled as many people find this difficult. Also, remember that you may be asked about anything on the sketch during your interview so be prepared for this.

Good luck,

GM

Nayyy,

Iwould recommend to fill out the space as much as you can. Some of the activities may seem very simple and not important to you but might be exactly what they are looking for. For example jogging is actually very y important. It shows you are active, taking care of your health and know strategies to level off your stress. Hope it helps

sarakj

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Do most people complete all 48 items? If I decide to include all of my hobbies and interests (e.g. jogging, photography, etc.), many of which do not necessarily put forth the impression that I'm helping out my community, will it hurt my application?

It's a double-edged sword I guess. On the one hand, if you don't fill things up, it could seem like you weren't very involved in your school or community. On the other hand, if you pad your list with an entry for skiing, jogging, skipping rope, washing the car, and eating dinner with mom every Sunday, then you'll dilute the activities that are significant with activities that are not (not that eating dinner with your mom isn't significant - but maybe the med schools don't care too much about it).

What about one-day volunteering events? Why is it automatically assumed that people do it to pad their resumes? I don't think that's very fair since maybe some people don't want to make time commitments they can't keep on top of ones they already have, but still want to get involved in a lot of things.

Is it necessarily bad to put a lot of these? i.e. > 5? I was just thinking, the worst that can happen is that they don't think it's significant, but would it really work that much against you? Thanks!

I think I have 1 or 2 one-day events...I did a lot more in high school, however, I have held on to a number of those commitments. I doubt it will work against you to have that many 1-day events...from what I have heard...as long as you can paint a picture of who you are. That's what I am letting guide what I put on there.

What about one-day volunteering events? Why is it automatically assumed that people do it to pad their resumes? I don't think that's very fair since maybe some people don't want to make time commitments they can't keep on top of ones they already have, but still want to get involved in a lot of things.

Is it necessarily bad to put a lot of these? i.e. > 5? I was just thinking, the worst that can happen is that they don't think it's significant, but would it really work that much against you? Thanks!

It is really important to see commitment to your activities.. which is hard to tell for one-day volunteering events. If you feel that they were a significant 2 hours (or whatever) in your life, then put them down. If you don't, then don't. I would definitely include something where you were involved in the preparation and management of a one-day event, but maybe not a 5 hour shift as a door monitor at the Terry Fox Run. What you choose to highlight in your sketch is just as important as what you write down.

For your autobiographical sketch, from which age is it appropriate to note accomplishments from? I started volunteering in a hospital in grade 10. This event is still relevant... right? By the way, say you were validvictorian for your class. Is this a prestigous award?

Your thoughts will be appreciated!!

Would you think it would be important to write down thing such as being in "Dean's list" for university? I'm not sure if I should write this because everyone whose average over 80 is automatically on dean's list anyway?

What about highschool's honour society? (which is the same criteria, 80)

What did you guys do?

Thanks.

Honestly guys, quality truely is more important than quantity!

Minor achievements in high school should probably be left out as you can imagine that most people who are in university probably did quite well in high school. I would also argue that non-significant, very short-term, extra-curriculars should also be left out.

Individuals reading these applications are not stupid and they only care that you have evidence of continued and significant contribution to your community, academic excellence, and personal development. Whether that is shown through 10 items or 45 is irrelevant. I certainly would not be too impressed by a list of one-day volunteer commitments and almost trivial past achievements (however significant they might have been at the time).

Good luck!

What about small awards like the "Grade 11 chemistry award"? Is it useful to put such awards in the list?
I think that the rule of thumb is to minimize items from high school. That said, it is fairly typical for people to include items from their last year of high school, from high school graduation, etc, and I think that two or three of these are preferable to leaving the entries blank.

I've been told to include Dean's list as part of it, however, I don't think I am going. It's not something significant at my school because it is rather easy to attain. However, I believe OMSAS says include activities from age 16. I can't remember where it is, but I'm pretty sure I read it.

Thanks for your reply and help guys.

But I seriously don't know if being in a Dean's list is a good "qualtity" (I guess I'll just not write my highschool honour society thing) Any comment about this would be really appreciated thanks :)

If I were you, I would include it if you have room in the 48 items. Many people do, and it's a reasonable thing to do, so I don't think you have to worry about it appearing like "padding". I think it's better to have it in there than to have your list appear shorter compared to other applications. But if you got the Dean's list multiple times, just list it once with the three (or whatever) dates.

On the other hand: whether you include it or leave a blank entry will not make or break your application. It will almost certainly have no effect on whether or not you are admitted. Since it really doesn't matter very much, don't worry about it!

Honestly guys, quality truely is more important than quantity!

Minor achievements in high school should probably be left out as you can imagine that most people who are in university probably did quite well in high school. I would also argue that non-significant, very short-term, extra-curriculars should also be left out.

Individuals reading these applications are not stupid and they only care that you have evidence of continued and significant contribution to your community, academic excellence, and personal development. Whether that is shown through 10 items or 45 is irrelevant. I certainly would not be too impressed by a list of one-day volunteer commitments and almost trivial past achievements (however significant they might have been at the time).

Good luck!

I disagree about participation in one-day volunteer events. It is obviously true that they don't require as much time commitment but I would be surprised if putting them in the sketch hurts more than help. For graduate students or undergrads who work a lot of hours during the week, it's hard or nearly impossible for them to commit many hours during the week to volunteer for an extended period of time. One-day volunteer events, which generally takes place during the weekend, give them an opportunity to get involved in worthy events without sacrificing time for research or work.

I have no more space; do you guys think it's more significant to put high school awards, i.e. top mark in gr. 12 calculus, geometry, etc... versus university one-day events? I'm leaning towards extra-curriculars as I doubt they really care much about how you do academically in high school...

Archived