Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

Guest hughangus

Guest hughangus

I have a masters in biochem., with publications, good ec's. But, my Cum GPA from undergrad. is 3.3 and my mcat is VR-11,BS-10, PS-8 and WS-Q (29Q). Which is not the greatest. I was thinking about retaking in august? What should I do? Do I have a chance at all? I was going to apply every where in canada and ireland and maybe USA (but i'm not sure what schools i should apply to)? :o

• 4 weeks later...
Guest grandmellon

I can't comment on whether or not you should retake the mcat but I can recommend that you apply to Mac as they will consider your GPA when it is that low... but you have to blow them away with your submission. In addition, you must look at each school individually and see if you can drop some of your bad marks or year.

Good luck

Guest Madz25

With a score of 8 in PS - you likely wont make the cutoffs at the schools that have cutoffs (western, queens). Especially with the double cohort applying this year, I suspect the cutoffs will be pushed even higher than last year's.

Also, yes Mac will look at applications with a 3.3 GPA. But keep in mind, the average GPA of accepted student hovers around 3.8 (or higher), indicating that they prefer students with higher GPAs.

Madz

Guest gloria

I would re-write the MCAT. PS is one section that you may be able to bring up a fair amount simply by doing TONS of problems. The questions on the MCAT often follow a certain format, and if you do enough of them you can kind of repeat what you have figured out before.

8 won't make the cut-off at Queen's and Western. and a 3.3 won't make a cut-off at Ottawa, so the easiest thing to improve is your MCAT score.

Archived