Premed 101 Forums

CONFUSED! help!

Guest dollfaceboyko

Guest dollfaceboyko

HELLO!

Once I am done with my 4 years of Medschool, I am still not a doctor, right? After that is the Residency part, and then I am a general practitioner? or do I specialize in something while in Residency and then I am, say an ophthalmologist if that's what I choose to specialize in? I am soooo confused! Please help me!:\

Guest aneliz

When you graduate from med school (after 3-4 years depending on the school) you are a doctor. In the sense that you have a completed MD and may be addressed as Dr X. You may write orders on inpatients and prescriptions... but only within the context of your residency program. You will not have the ability to practice independently yet.

When you graduate, you will be required to complete a residency in something before you are able to set up your own practice. During your last year of medical school, you will need to decide what 'type' of doctor you want to be (ophthalmologist, pediatrician, family doc, general surgeon, etc) You will then apply to a resideny program in that specialty. The 'match' happens in late winter of your 4th year of med school. In the match you will be 'matched' to one of the residency programs that you applied to. After graduation, you will start that residency program in whatever specialty you chose and matched to. Residency lasts from 2 years (family medicine) to as long as 8 years (some neurosurg). During your residency, while you are a doctor, you are still supervised and report to a fully qualified physician. At the end of residency, you write your Royal College exams and, if you pass, you are a fully qualified doctor able to go out and set up an independent practice.

Archived