Premed 101 Forums

Overseas volunteering

hp18

Hi,

My question relates to this problem: not only are most of my extra-curriculars overseas, but the majority of them don't last more than one or two years because I have moved around a lot. I'm worried that this might make me look like I'm unable to commit to any activities...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi all:

I don't think oversea activities will put anyone at a disadvantage because it is the things you have learned from these activities that are importaant; not the activities themselves.

If it is the verifiers that you are worried about, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you can provide some sort of evidence that you were actually involed in the activies that you're putting in the applications, like a phone number of a contact person.

Speaking of oversea volunteer activities, I think one should be cautious that they will no necessarily make your application more superior than others who have never been overseas. The reason is that the admission committee realizes the fact that going overseas requires financial backing and not everyone can afford to do so. Raising your own money for the trip is one option (I actually know a person that financed her entire trip to Africa by organizing concerts and selling raffle tickets), but some applicants nonetheless have the financial support of their parents/spouses/etc while others may not be as fortunate.

~~~There was a thread a while back talking about UBC's admission committee recognizing the different financial background of their applicants, and it was from this thread that I paraphrased the idea mentioned above.~~~

So, write about things that you have learned instead of simply mentioning the oversea activities without evidence of your personal growth.

Good luck!

Very true...just a side note to people wanting to go overseas. I've volunteered overseas and it was one of the most amazing experiences ever. However, I think its important the people not go volunteer overseas with the hopes of dressing up med. applications because you will be in for a huge surprise. Not as romantic as World Vision portrays it.

Archived