Premed 101 Forums

In third year biology: should I switch to pharamacy or kinesiology?

Hey guys,

I am going to into my third year of university and am having trouble choosing an undergrad...I have been in biological sciences for the last two years, but am considering two possible undergrads to transfer into: kinesiology and pharmacy.

With regards to kinesiology, it is definitely easier in terms of attaining a good GPA and it is definitely interesting. Also, it is more general in nature and is a good precursor for medicine.

With regards to pharmacy, it is an excellent precursor to medicine and also, it is a very very good backup in case medicine doesn't work out.

Any advice (especially from people in kinesiology or pharmacy)?

Thanks.

I guess you should pursue what interests you more...You should have completed your prereqs by now anyway...You should be prepared to answer why you changed your degree to the interviewers...I am in 3rd yr biopharm at U of O and thats because i like chemistry and biochem more than pure biology...It also keeps my options open..so its more what you like rather than whats easy or what looks good..Good luck!

I agree - do what interests you more.

But it also depends on what school you're going to. I'm in Kines and I don't really like it because it is very sport based (which is what sets our program apart from the rest of the programs around the country) and I much prefer the science aspect of it. In fact, I love all of my science based courses, but despise the sport ones (sport admin, sport psych, sport soc, etc.).

I hear that pharmacy is very, very challenging and competitive (not only to get into, but once you're in it too) and that might be a problem for your gpa. But again, if that's what you'd like better (not only as a back up plan), then stick with that.

I attend the U of A. I would say that some courses have their difficult moments, but overall I find it much less overwhelming because the majority of your classes won't have labs, and if they do they are two hours instead of four. The labs themselves (and associated work) can be a lot more work than a science lab (anatomy for example), but they can also be a lot easier to grasp than molecular things (like exercise physiology) so in that regard they can be a bit of a sigh of relief.

Another factor in kines is that there isn't nearly as much competition in it. There aren't a thousand or more pre-meds who are in your classes with you (on average I've found it's about 1 other person in a class of 150+). So people are actually willing to study with you, share notes with you, and even that other med wanna-be will talk to you (as opposed to in science I found them all to be quite short once they found out you were their 'competition'). Most of the students in your classes will be PE or Ed/PE students who are mostly looking to get by while pursuing their sport, so that cuts down the competition for all the top marks.

A reasonable GPA depends on how much you are willing to put into it, just like any other faculty. My GPA has ranged from 3.4-3.8 and I've managed to (had to) work an average of 20 hours per week. From my perspective, a high 3's or 4.0 isn't completely unattainable while maintaining a regular healthy lifestyle (which it seemed unattainable to me when I was in science).

Don't get me wrong though - if you're interested in sports then this is the place for you to do your kines. If you're like me however (interested in personal fitness, but not so much sports), perhaps you should investigate the kines programs at other uni's.

Archived