Premed 101 Forums

Engineering or Science for Undergraduate Premed?

seeker

I wanted to take Microbiology because I thought it would impress pre-med, but I've since switched to Biochemistry, and I am glad I did it. The inorganic chemistry and math courses you get to take are really interesting. So, the moral of the story is take what you are interested in. Studying for it becomes a lot easier because you actually want to do it.

previous posters are right. however, medical schools do assume that you did have SOME exposure to bio/chem concepts...they really skim over the basics in the first couple of blocks and dive into the medical aspects...

engineering ppl who might have taken the prereqs may need to work a lot harder the first couple of weeks to catch up. If you like science and bio...i say do that as a degree--the undergrad bio courses goes into alot more depth than meds courses...but they DO give you a lot more insight into the subjects and can add new dimensions--especially those in areas of biochem, cell bio, genetics, and molecular bio...

but, if u have a passion for physics and math...by all means pursue that as an undergrad. Just be prepared to justify why you pursued an engineering degree as opposed to a biology/biochem or general science degree (it may come up but i really don't think it's a big issue).

One area of concern when taking a engineering degree is that tends to take a student in a very different direction from that of the traditional pre-med student. That is unless, one is taking bioengineering, etc.

It's not easy switching gears from the rigors of engineering science to those of just biological sciences. I think that is a lot easier to focus on your goal when one is taking a path that seems more similar to it. As a bio-student, you are more immersed in that atmosphere.

When I first went into engineering, I did it because I thought I wanted to be an engineer. But after a while, I knew that I wanted to pursue medicine afterwards. Besides the obvious intensity and difficulties of the program, an engineering student (that pursues medicine) has to work even harder just to get the premed course requirements. It's certainly a difficult path to medicine, but it can be done - evidenced by the growing number (I am assuming) of engineers switching into medicine.

JMO

Archived