Premed 101 Forums

Research and the ABS

Quick question regarding research and the ABS:

If I did research as part of a summer job, does this get listed as employment or research? Also, if I did research as part of my coursework (i.e. I did an independent research project and am now doing my honor's thesis), can I list these separately under 'Research' or not at all (understood as a part of my formal education)?

I'm putting my summer research under research for my OMSAS sketch. As for the thesis - depends whether it's something you want to draw attention to. If you think it is an important element in your application and/or you want to talk about it in your interview, then I would treat it as a separate entry. If not and you have other things you'd prefer the ad comm to focus on, then forget it. I think that's true of all things on your application...you don't have to put everything you've ever done in your whole university life on your sketch just because you've done it - it depends if you think it helps your application. You're limited by space after all.

Good point, Smurfette.

I'm going to go ahead and add my thesis to my 'Research' category (I've been doing work on the topic for the past two summers now and could take about it in an interview setting for hours :P )

I just noticed that without summer research under 'Employment,' my employment experiences look pretty bleak, I guess I didn't work as much as I thought I had...

Archived