Premed 101 Forums

Highest GPA cutoff?

Does anyone have any idea what might be the highest GPA Ottawa will possibly require for Ontario applicants? I noticed that it went up .4 from 2005-2006 (3.83 to 3.87 - correct me if I'm wrong on that) - is it likely to do that again and jump up to something over 3.9 with the double cohort?

Let me know if you have any theories!

• 1 year later...

The GPA is going up up up up (meaning the population is getting smarter or there`s more people who want to get into med school?).

Anyway, 3-4years ago, some undergrad with 3.6 GPA were able to get an interview in the francophone stream (I even know someone with a mid 3.5). Today, I never heard someone with a low 3.6 undergrad getting an interview in the francophone stream.

Anyways, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any idea what might be the highest GPA Ottawa will possibly require for Ontario applicants? I noticed that it went up .4 from 2005-2006 (3.83 to 3.87 - correct me if I'm wrong on that) - is it likely to do that again and jump up to something over 3.9 with the double cohort?

Let me know if you have any theories!

went up 0.04?

i'm not sure... i haven't personally asked/cared but there have been people who have claimed to recieve emails from ottawa saying it'll be a 3.85, while others claim to have gotten emails or had conversations over the phone with ottawa people claiming it is still 3.83 ... i don't think it's super critical, since meeting the cutoff is not a guarantee of an interview... but i guess missing it is a guarantee of a rejection so maybe that's why there's so much buzz about it.

ya i got an email saying it's expected to be 3.85, it was 3.83 last year, not sure how they figure it to go up, I would think there were more applicants last year because of double cohort but perhaps there's even more this year since the excess of people who didn't get in might be applying again?

does anyone know if/when they'll post the cutoffs?

• 3 weeks later...
ya i got an email saying it's expected to be 3.85, it was 3.83 last year, not sure how they figure it to go up, I would think there were more applicants last year because of double cohort but perhaps there's even more this year since the excess of people who didn't get in might be applying again?

does anyone know if/when they'll post the cutoffs?

I doubt it will go up, apparently applications to all schools went down. Not a huge decrease in applications to UOttawa, from 3350 to like 3250 but i dont see how a 100 people decrease will translate to a 0.02 increase.

maybe they want to REVIEW fewer applications... thus upping the cut-off by a couple points.

Wow I never thought of that, I just assumed when you "expect" something that you are predicting the outcome of an event that is largely out of your control (like more or less applicants), and reviewing less applicants is something in their control.

That's a good point 47, which depends on how many people they usually review before they invite people for interviews and whether it sounds feasable to review less people and send the same number of interviews out, but I guess they can end up inviting less for an interview as well..

Oh well I guess we wait and see:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all

Emailed UO, and they said that the cutoff for IP but not from ottawa was 3.83 last year. This year its expected to be 3.85.

Anyone know if they round up GPAs? ie 3.845 to 3.85. and if u had 1 year that has more than 5.0 credits does it get any weighting or is strictly yearly basis.

Hey all

Emailed UO, and they said that the cutoff for IP but not from ottawa was 3.83 last year. This year its expected to be 3.85.

Anyone know if they round up GPAs? ie 3.845 to 3.85. and if u had 1 year that has more than 5.0 credits does it get any weighting or is strictly yearly basis.

when did you email them? January or December?

Hey all

yes, they do round GPAs:)

3.65 eh

well damn, sometimes this makes me regret not applying to english (I am from Ottawa with 3.8 ish) however I also thought that even despite the g.p.a ottawa english would still be more difficult to attain an interview with than the french (don't worry I do speak and take classes and french too but I am an anglophone)

anywho, goodluck to all the end is near :eek:

Archived