Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone, can someone help me out?

Guest Gexar

Guest Gexar

Hi guys,

This is my first topic I have posted but I have read this site for a long time.

My question is do Canadian/American medical schools count summer courses in the GPA?

I am taking summer courses to fulfill prerequisites. But since they aren't taken during the year, are they counted towards the GPA?

Or are the counted as prerequisite completion, but not counted towards the GPA.

Does anyone know?

Guest JewelLeigh

"Or are the counted as prerequisite completion, but not counted towards the GPA."

This is the right way for Canadian schools as far as I know :)

Most schools want you to have a full course load during the regular school year though - so make sure you don't take courses in the summer and then end up with less than 5 regular courses per term during the year!

Guest Gexar

Thanks Jewel.

Yes, I am making sure I have 5 full courses everyyear with full and half courses added up.

Do you know anything about American schools?

Guest Madz25

Some schools include ALL undergraduate coursework - including summer courses - when calculating GPA. McMaster is the only one I know of for sure.

I have no idea about schools in the US.

Each school has its own way of calculating GPA. The best thing to do would be to check out the med admissions website for the schools you're interested in.

Madz

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rua Francis

Gexar! is it really easy to take summer courses? i mean i've been accepted in the universtiy of Windsor, and i was asking them about some Science summer courses, they said we dont offer this n that! "coz of the lab work n stuff" so please can you tell me how where and when?!

am sorry am talking out of your question, but your thread caught my eye and am really confused about summer courses!

thanks mate :)

Archived