Premed 101 Forums

U of T 2010 class breakdown

Very interesting statistics. I am not suprised by the 3.87 average GPA for this year again, medical admissions only becomes more competitive after all. However, I did notice that the median score for PS on the MCAT went down 1 point. I haven't gotten my MCAT scores back yet, so I don't really know how that affects me. Oh well....here's to hoping UofT works out for me.

Yea, I'm more surprised that it would go down if it were to change. It seems like everywhere else the MCATs are increasing and medical applicants are becoming increasingly more competitive. But, I sort of makes me feel good to know that the MCAT is actually used as flag otherwise I doubt it would have gone down.

• 2 weeks later...
On a related note, the average age of our class (1T0) is relatively young. Average age is 23 years, and the range of ages goes from 20-31. This could also be due to double cohorters, and if I remember correctly, there's about 13-15 people who are in the class straight from 3rd year undergrad.

That's it??? That makes me really nervous as I am a 3rd year applicant.

pretty positive only ~15 or so people in the class straight from 3rd year undergrad (out of our class of 218), at least that's what I vaguely remember from the presentation we had during O-Week about our class breakdown.

If I remember correctly, there was an overwhelming number of B.Sc Honours matriculants. Something like ~120 (again, out of 218). I also remember there being 12 PhD students, 100% positive on that one.

Edit! One last thing that I remember sticking out. In the 1T0 class, there are only ~35-37 students from OOP. Of course, UofT doesn't have a quota for IP or OOP applicants. But being an OOP applicant myself, I remember that figure being much lower than I had imagined (only 35 out of 218).

Anyway, take all these stats with a grain of salt. In the end, it doesn't really matter if you're just 20 and applying out of 3rd year undergrad OR if you're 28 and you just completed a PhD in Molecular Genetics. If the adcom deems you to be in the top 218 or so applicants (out of ~3000), you're in.

I really hope so.

• 3 weeks later...
Isn't there a separate grad v undergrad pool for consideration?

Yes, there are indeed two separate pools of U of T applicants: undergrads VS. grads.

Since I was a grad applicant, I am more familiar with the grad pool. All the relavent info regarding grad application pool can be found here:

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/English/page-13-15497-1.html

It's a trend everywhere that older students (read: not out of 3rd year) are preferred. Some schools even have requirements for a completion of an honours degree.

I think that usually when 3rd year is over, there is a bit more attrition of med school hopefuls, and some students end up wanting to do something else, or get into pharmacy, dentistry etc. The net effect, I think, is that the 4th year+ pool of applicants is smaller and competition not as intense.

• 2 months later...

Archived