Premed 101 Forums

How to enter publication reference in Ottawa sketch?

Hi all,

For the Research section of the Ottawa sketch, under the "Type of Publication" field, are we suppose to put the full reference of a publication?

I did a research project and had presented the work at a conference, including an abstract publication in a journal. However, with the 100 character limit, I'm not sure how I'm suppose to put all this info in!

Or should I write something like:

"Abstracts/presentations @ Child Neurology Society Conference; published with references." and leave it at that?

Do they expect the full reference of publications?

I would really appreciate any advice, especially from anyone who's gotten into Ottawa.

Thanks!

I would just put the journal reference (ie. journal name, issue and volume, page, year). You can look up APA or some other source for how to correctly reference an abstract. And you can definitely use standard journal abbreviations.

When I was filling out the application, I didn't include abstracts or conference presentations for data/projects that I had subsequently published in a peer-reviewed journal, since the latter is a more solid reference. That is one way I cut down on characters.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Satsuma for the suggestion. Should I omit the title of the abstract then? I had a few abstracts published in a journal. It sounds like you're recommending to just put the journal name, issue, volume, page, year.

Thanks for any advice.

Wil

I would just put the journal reference (ie. journal name, issue and volume, page, year). You can look up APA or some other source for how to correctly reference an abstract. And you can definitely use standard journal abbreviations.

When I was filling out the application, I didn't include abstracts or conference presentations for data/projects that I had subsequently published in a peer-reviewed journal, since the latter is a more solid reference. That is one way I cut down on characters.

Hope that helps.

Ok, so the details of the set-up on the application are fuzzy in my mind.

There is a column where you describe the topic of your research I believe?

I know for sure I did not put the titles in. I just put the abbreviated journal reference. But that is because somewhere the research was described and I thought the title was redundant and there is no way it would have all fit.

I can`t remember much more than that. And I am not sure if this year your format is different than when I applied.

But if the above makes sense and helps with space then use your judgement if you want to go that route.

Just be sure that somewhere your research is described and that it is clear you are referencing an abstract.

Sats

Ok, so the details of the set-up on the application are fuzzy in my mind.

There is a column where you describe the topic of your research I believe?

I know for sure I did not put the titles in. I just put the abbreviated journal reference. But that is because somewhere the research was described and I thought the title was redundant and there is no way it would have all fit.

I can`t remember much more than that. And I am not sure if this year your format is different than when I applied.

But if the above makes sense and helps with space then use your judgement if you want to go that route.

Just be sure that somewhere your research is described and that it is clear you are referencing an abstract.

Sats

Thanks! You're right, there is a separate field to enter the title of the project, so I won't have to list it again in the "Type of Publication" field. Thanks so much!

Archived