Premed 101 Forums

Offers declined for Med-P

mchn2007

sorry, maybe I should clarify

Around 400 people apply for the (usually) 80 seats in Pre-med at McGill. Around 180 of those will get interviewed. Then McGill will send 80 offers to the best of those 180. Last year, when McGill sent out 81 offers, 56 of them DECLINED:eek: !! That's 70%!!! Only 25 of the original 81 that were sent out actually accepted the offer.

Now I understand that the people that recieve the offers usually get accepted into other university premed programs but I thought McGill was preferred. That's why I'm asking...why do you think they chose not to go to McGill???

I was part of those who decline the offer from McGill. I was also accepted in Laval, Montreal and Sherbrooke. I had to make a decision. I chose Sherbrooke because here, I can have my MD degree after 4 years and also because of the PBL teaching method. I don't regret it so far!

That statistic is the official number as per The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada. Shocking figure isn't it Gavanshir. The is also reflected in the minimum CRC required to apply this year. It was 34.6 last year and it is now 34.0. A 0.6 in CRC is a significant change.

Wow Yamuh that's really impressive getting accepted everywhere!! I would apply everywhere if my French were better. I know that PBL is the program that a lot of universities are adopting these days even the top notch ones like Harvard and John Hopkins. My sister is studying medicine at McMaster University which started the PBL and she absolutely loves it too.

Seeing these statistics, do you think it's easier to get into McGill than previous years? Or was last year just an exceptional year? Could the huge number of declined offers be due to the increase in interest and popularity of problem based learning? Also, how did you find the interview at McGill compared to the other universities?

The interviews (2) I had in McGill were very smooth. The first one was with a second year student so, at the beginning she told me that she knew I was feeling si she tried to make me feel confortable. The second one was with a doctor. He tried to know if medecine was really what I wanted to do. (eg. ''you are 19 years old now, + 5 years of medecine + 5 years of residency...., you are gonna be 29 when you'll finish...you could choose something shorter and something that pays more....). I liked both of my interviews....

I think the reason why many people dropped their offer is that many francophone (like me) applied in McGill and it wasn't their first choice...

Yamuh

I am in my last few years of high school and i decided to persue a career in medicine. However, i want to know my chances of getting in Medical school and i have lots of questions to ask. Is there anyone who i should talk to and would be willing to tell me everything i need to know?

Archived