Premed 101 Forums

Easy way out...if there is such a thing

Guest Ericisconfused

Guest Ericisconfused

Hey Everyone,

I've pretty much been dealing with this question forever and now that I found a site like this I just wanted everyone else's opinion.

I know we go to University for higher education and all but one of the biggest games of getting to med school is working your way to those good grades. I was just wondering what others thought about either taking the easy way through this by entering an easier program and taking easy classes and getting a higher GPA or entering a more challenging higher profile program (Co-op program) but with harder classes and most definately lower GPA. I'd go the easy route no question... but I need to worry about the possibilty of not getting into med school at all and being stuck with little experience.

Did anyone else feel this way and had to choose? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Guest Arcados

On UofT's med website they state that one of the things they take into account in admissions is the "rigour" of the program, so that plan may not work as well as some may think.

Also, you'll have a hell of a time convincing the adcoms that you studied what you studied for the right reasons come application time. Who wants a doctor that takes the easy way in order to 'succeed'?

Moral of the story: take what you like, and what will prepare you for a career you will enjoy in the event you are not granted admission to meds.

Guest clinicalchief

There are many factors you need to consider when choosing your undergrad program.

Choose something because you enjoy it, not because you think it will be easy/hard. You will do better studying a subject you like.

All programs have their hard and easy aspects, but you don't realize this until you are actually there. If you have proper motives and can work hard, I believe you can do well in any program you choose, which may come a little harder for some than others.

Remember that most medical schools like/need to see full course loads and the appropriate courses in the respective years (ie 1st yr courses in first year, upper year courses near the end of your program etc, of course with some exceptions).

Try to challange yourself when you choose your program. Once you enter meds, life will become much harder than in undergrad, and you will be more prepared for this if you work hard in your undergrad.

Good Luck,

cc

Guest coolguy3650

I truly believe that people do better in subjects they like. Pick something you like; you'll to better in it and also get more out of your university education. I also wonder if anything at the university level can be considered easy. Some of my worst marks have come in courses that were supposed to be easy, although that may not be true of people who go to a school that doesn't utilize the bell curve. I really don't think there is any need to kill yourself by taking an extremely tough program; keep in mind that you need time for ECs too.

Guest uteng

I think schools that look at the rigour of the program are the exception rather than the rule. Most schools just take marks at face value (imagine being an admission committee and trying to find a fair why to weight every program you came across).

So yeah, I think you could get into medical school taking the easy courses (as long as met certain rules like taking year-appropriate courses). A couple things though:

-What are you going to put on your essay for academic preparation for medical school?

-What will you say if the interviewer asks you why you took your degree?

-What will you be missing out on in your university career by not taking something you are interested in?

-How do you know med school is the only thing for you if you don't try out other interests?

-When will you have time to try out other interests if not before med school? After med school? :)

Just some things to think about....

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I wouldn't worry about the "rigour" of your program if I were you- a 3.2 average in complicated neuroscience at U of T looks infinitely worse than a 3.85 in anything else no matter how you slice it. Medical schools have no preference of where you do your undergrad nor what you do it in (unless they explicitly state otherwise) so long as you satisfy any pre-reqs they might have, so choose something you are interested in at a school you would be happy attending and the rest will take care of itself!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived