Premed 101 Forums

If reference sends you a copy of the letter

lucy98

Hi,

I already posted this in the Dalhousie forum, but I was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this.

I just received an email from one of my references who told me that she has already mailed out the reference form/letter (to Dal) and that she checked off the box at the bottom that says she has sent the applicant a copy of the letter. Is this detrimental to my application? (She hasn't actually sent me a copy of it yet and I told her not to).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lucy

Personally, I would talk to your reference and let him/her know that you would prefer not getting a copy of the letter (sounds like you did this). Have him/her fill out the form again indicating that he/she hasn't let you see a copy of the reference.

By allowing you to see the letter, adcoms may believe that you were able to add your own input to the reference. As a result, the reference is not as honest about your abilities and weaknesses as it could potentially be if you hadn't seen the letter. (Sorry, this doesn't sound as clear as I intended - and I'm too lazy to edit).

Edit--I just realized that your reference has sent away the reference. Tell her why you wouldn't like to see the reference, and have her sign and mail a separate letter to Dal indicating that she did not let you see the letter.

Archived