Premed 101 Forums

How to volunteer in a lab? Do I need to be a science student?

student101

I have 2 questions:

1) To apply for research positions as summer jobs, would most employers require science students?

2) Are there any sites, links, where I can get some info on volunteering in labs or hospitals in the GTA? How competitive is the volunteering pool for summer students? Do most get accepted, or do they only accept a few (and mostly science) students?

Hi,

Many labs will interview students for summer jobs, especially if payment is involved, so some background or interest in the lab's work will help. However, you can also secure a position by contacting a professor directly. Therein, you'll probably have less competition involved for a spot.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

1) To apply for research positions as summer jobs, would most employers require science students?

It depends on the type of research. For example, if you want to work for a prof who specializes in biochemistry, then he/she will likely want someone who has a biochem background. If you're interested in something like health policy, then profs probably won't care so much. Or if you're willing to work in a lab that has a lot of grundge work, then profs might accept you regardless of your background - eg. cleaning turtle cages in a marine biology lab.

Archived