Premed 101 Forums

Is is easier to get in the French program?

I am not sure anyone can reasonably answer your question.

If you read through past postings you will see that some have failed admission to the francophone program to be subsequently accepted to the anglophone program and others have failed admission to the anglophone program and have subsequently been accepted to the francophone program.

There is a smaller applicant pool to the francophone program and so the wGPA cut-off is lower since they don`t have to cut the numbers down so much. So that could be considered an advantage if you won`t make the anglo cut-off for out of province (the cut-offs at Ottawa differ depending if you are from Ottawa, from Ontario or from out-of province). But after that it is hard to say.

Typically it is hard to get off the wait list on the franco side....so you want a first round offer.

dont forget if youre "billingual", you better be hardcore billingual.

one of the admish committe members told us that they sometimes have people during the interview who know french, but arent as comfortable with it as english. he said you have to be extremely fluent b/c they dont allow you to switch languages just for the interviewer, and just because its french doesnt mean they expect less depth, use of vocab., etc.

if you wanta enroll in french, you should be really comfortable with french.

if you are, hells ya, go for french. i think the wgpa cutoff is 3.4. someone check me on that one.

sorry, i forgot u were from Quebec....

As OT6 posted (and i have seen these in a UofO med school presentation) Cut-offs used for the excellence of marks in 2005 admissions process

Franco Ontarians/aboriginals 3.40

Underserviced areas (northern) 3.55

Regional (Ottawa-Outaouais) 3.60

In province 3.83

Out of province 3.87

i'm not sure where Quebec francophones fit in. best bet is to email UofO.

best wishes!

Did they specify just for Northern Ontario?? I am from a rural, underserviced village in Ontario but its in South-eastern Ontario so I am wondering if I would fall into this category and cut-off??

Does anyone have any further information on this admissions category?

Thanks!

Did they specify just for Northern Ontario?? I am from a rural, underserviced village in Ontario but its in South-eastern Ontario so I am wondering if I would fall into this category and cut-off??

Does anyone have any further information on this admissions category?

Thanks!

Congrats on your first post! :)

I do not believe they specify only regions in Northern Ontario as underserviced. I'm also from an underserviced town but UOttawa does not consider it 'underserviced' by their criteria. To the best of my knowledge, UOttawa has not posted a list of townships which are considered underserviced. The only way for you to find out is to email the admissions office.

Good luck!

WTF?! It can't be! :(

Oh well, since they count the last three years of undergraduate, I still have enough time to improve the my chances. I want my first semester's GPA to be forgotten.

Then again...I could always rent a room somewhere in Outaouais a few months before application :D

Archived