Premed 101 Forums

Quebec doctors suspended for filling online prescriptions

Here's a link to an interesting story I thought we could discuss if anyone is interested.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/27092006/3/canada-quebec-doctors-suspended-filling-online-prescriptions.html

I realize that each of these doctors probably felt they were just doing what was best for the patient at the time. However, it does seem rather negligent to not assess the patients history thoroughly before doing so and to not even have met the patient. I think that as physicians, it's important to maintain a higher level of professionalism and ethical behaviour since it's a role where other people's well-being, if not life, is in your hands, something quite unique to the position. What d'yall think??

I think it would be inappropriate in most cases since a patient history and physical examination reveals a lot of clinically-relevant information. This information is not conveyed very well through the internet, so there is increased risk to the patient. On the other hand, there might be that odd case where the doctor knows the patient well, and is just re-filling a prescription...maybe in this case it is okay fill prescriptions online.

Archived