Premed 101 Forums

deciding med vs. dent?

Guest wannabein

Guest wannabein

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you have been accepted to both med and dent this year, at which universities, and which one have you decided to go to?

thanx

Guest Gexar

If I was accepted to both I would probably choose medicine.

However, I know some people who are applying to both and choosing dentistry if they get into both. It's all your personal preference.

Coming to a PREMED board, most of the answers you get here are going to say medicine..........

Guest wattyjl

i still don't understand why people put these two professions in the same sentence, and bother to compare them. they are completely different! aren't they?

Guest wannabein

no they are not very different. They are both health professionals and many people do apply to both every year. i was wondering how many people were going to this year.

Guest Jochi1543

My feelings too, wattyjl. I can certainly understand someone being interested in being a doctor OR a dentist, but as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't wanna be a dentist, a nurse, or a veterinarian even though I do wanna be a doctor. Dentistry is way too specialized, and I don't have any interest in the cosmetic aspect of treatments either.

Guest MEMED

I've got to back up wannabein on this one. I fail to see how a dentist is that much different than any other specialized surgeon. Talk to any ophthalmologist about anything other than the eyes (heck, talk to some of them about anything other than the anterior vs. posterior chamber) and you won't get very far. Remember that dentists are highly specialized health care professionals who deal with a lot of complex issues, that MD's are clueless about. At the same time they need to be aware of the patients overall medical condition since they perform numerous invasive surgical procedures and administer anesthesia themselves. Pretty hefty load if you ask me.

As far as dentists being too specialized, that is completely a personal opinion that one is free to have. However, there are numerous people who go into medical school who would be happy as a family doctor or an ophthalmologist. If you're interested in health, human physiology, being of service to individuals in your community and treating medical problems than their are very good reasons why one would be happy as any type of MD or a DDS, therefore I say go ahead and apply to both.

Guest ewon2003

Two questions you need to ask yourself:

(1) Do I have the hand dexterity and perceptual acuity to be a dentist?

If not, then there are more options in medicine that do not require these two specific skills, such as family medicine, radiology, pathology, just to name a few.

(2) Do I have any chronic illness that is transmittable or am I a carrier of some infectious disease such as Hep B?

Dental association have strict rules about these kind of issues, and I know people have been discontinued from dental education after starting dental school because they are carriers of some infectious disease.

Guest osjx82

I second (or third) what memed and wannabein said above. I don't see how the two professions are SOOO different. I mean they both deal with patients, and they both deal with the human body (to a certain extent). And in the end, don't both professions involve "helping people" and giving them health?

Guest wannabein

I actually asked the dean of medicine at a reception last night about why dent is a seperate school in north america as opposed to being a post medical specialization like the rest of the world. His response was that the job demand for dentists are much higher compared to ther specializations. There is approximatly 450 dentists graduating in canada alone every year. thats alot of people that would put alot of the strain the medical education and it is much more efficient when they are separate.

just though id share!

To me they are very similar, neither is better than the other, both have pros and cons, and best of luck to everyone pursuing either!

Archived