Premed 101 Forums

HI, everyone? Is UofT really hard as they say it is? Help!

Guest AKangaroo

Guest AKangaroo

Hi!

I am deciding between UWO and UofT still....

And the only thing that is going through my mind is,

if I can get a good grade in UofT.

Is anyone here from UofT or have heard anything about marking at UofT? Is it true that UofT makes the first year impossibly (exaggerated;;) hard?

Because I have heard so many people saying if you want to go to medical school, don't go to UofT but a smaller and less competitive school like UWO...

My mind is going nowhere now.. help!!

IS it true that there has to be a certain percentage of As in one class so that in less competitive schools you will get a good mark over others?

I hope this is not true..

Please help me.

Guest Silverbullet

It is true that U of T are very strict about ensuring the class average is 65% - 67% in their undergrad courses in the first year.

I'm not sure if they do that in the upper-years

Guest wab8611

hey im going to uoft in the fall, and even though im worried about the difficulty of getting high marks. i think that know matter where u go u still will have to study hard. and just think if you make it first year at uoft then its a reeal accomplishment.

what im trying to say is.. all universities are hard.... its just what you make of it.. and if you dont do so good first year (even though you worked ur ass off) then you can always transfer out to another school.

well at least thats my plan

I went (go?) to UofT for undergrad and I just got into med school so it's not impossible!

Is it challenging? Yes, it is. BUT by no means is it impossible to do well. If you're able to keep up with the material, understand AND memorize it, and work your a$$ off, I can almost guarantee that academically you will do well. The challenging part is balancing academic success with the rest of your life.. cause if you just do school you will burnout and that's not good for you, or for your chances of getting into medicine.

Guest Gexar

Howdy Akangaroo.

Let me be very honest with you. ALL universities are insanely hard first year, as well as second year. Medicine is now a world-wide competition, and the universities know 90% of students in first yr bio class want to be doctors. No matter if you go to UofT, UWO, or any other university, the first 2 yrs are the hardest.

Just go wherever you want to go. If you want to be closer to your family, then stay in Toronto. If you want to move to UWO and live away from home for a while, do that.

Guest s sadry

you can do well at u of t.

yea it requires a lot of work..but if you want to be at the top, regardless of where you go to school, its going to require some work!!

and if you want to be a doctor, its goign to require some work...even after you've got into med school, and once you practice!!

point is...if you want to do well, anywhere, and want to take on a challenging profession -- i think its good to get into the habit of working hard now.

so don't be intimidated by the "hard work/challenges of u of t" that you've heard about. just step up to the challenge, try your very personal best, and if you do that at the end of the day, how could you have any regrets?

good luck! :)

Guest triplefudgebrownie

You can't lose anything by going to UWO - your average is likely to be higher than at U of T.

But if you go to U of T, you might find that the classes are too difficult, your average could drop and this would affect your admission to med school.

You could always do your first two years at UWO and then transfer to U of T.

Guest purplefairy13

Yeah, UofT does have a reputation for being 'hard', but look at it this way: by the time you get used to it and learn to 'survive', you'll actually get better prepared at UofT. And if you want to go into medicine, you have to be able to deal with stress....

But, UWO is no cake-walk either, so you'll get an education anywhere you go, as long as you put in the work.

I chose UofT over UWO because: i)its home...Toronto and UofT for me, ii) the university health network iii)research opportunities iv)after undergrad and MA at UofT, the competition factor starts to grow on you :b

Good Luck in whatever you decide, and maybe see you in the fall ;)

PF13

Guest joonboy
But if you go to U of T, you might find that the classes are too difficult

Is this the case only for life sciences? or does this high difficulty also apply to Arts or Commerce programs?

Thanks.

Archived