Premed 101 Forums

Anyone able to get the weighting formula without a full courseload?

For UofT the weighting formula only applies if you take 10half courses each year. However, if you have a reason for taking less courses one year you can try to argue it and maybe they will consider it.

Has anyone had success with debating to have the weighting formula applied?

My situation is that I took only 9 courses + a placement course last year. Unfortunately, my university recognizes the placement as a pass and is not giving any credit for it.

The weighting formula says that they drop your lowest mark each term in the calculation of the GPA. So even if I had taken all 10 courses last year, since my second term marks were all very high, the one class that I did not take would probably have been my lowest and been dropped anyway.

Also, why do they want a full course load each year? How does the fact that I took a full course load years 1 and 2 affect my 3rd year??

Anyone have any advice for me?????

who changes my titles???

i had a question about the weighting formula myself. i've taken a full course load the past three years. can the courses they drop include 'half-year' credits? i was assuming yes, but i keep hearing three-full courses dropped. i'm assuming they just mean 3.0 FCE.

Right. 3.0 FCE or 6 half-courses. Keep in mind that some schools are comprised of mostly half-courses (McMaster and Waterloo come to mind).

Also, why do they want a full course load each year? How does the fact that I took a full course load years 1 and 2 affect my 3rd year??

In my opinion, it is save to assume that U of T wants applicants who can handle a full course load and in turn provide the applicants with an opportunity to drop the lowest mark if they had taken a full course load.

Since taking one less course perhaps leads to more time for other courses, U of T then will not grant applicants the courtsey of dropping the lowest grade. Not that NOT taking a full course load makes you any less competitive, but I think the system exists to reward people that have perhaps suffered more than you...

who changes my titles???

This topic was discussed elsewhere in the forum recently. The moderators change your titles to make the content of your thread more obvious to the readers browsing the forum without having to open the thread. It also benefits you because your questions will more likely to be answered.

Archived