Premed 101 Forums

Second Bachelor degree

Guest OrganicH

Guest OrganicH

Hi, I have a B.Sc. and with good (competitive) GPA for med school, but I did not take full course load. Since, most universities want full course load; would taking a second Bachelor degree (this time with full course load) be helpful.

Thanks,

Guest kaymcee

How "part-time" is "part-time"? Are you talking about 1-2 semesters out of 8 with only four courses instead of five or are you talking three courses per term throughout the entirety of your undergraduate degree?

If it's the former, then the full-time issue probably isn't one. Go ahead and apply. Most school's don't have an explicit requirement for a full course load, and those that do either only require it for two years to calculate your GPA (Saskatchewan, Western, Dalhousie), have a full course load as four courses per term (Calgary), or use it to benefit your application (Toronto).

If it's the latter, then it's a bit of a problem unless there are circumstances that prevented you from taking a full course load.

Guest cmitchelca

I personally would, and myself did, do a second degree. I was accepted for the masters, but didn't do it because it's harder to get in through the grad stream. I have started the second degree and had an interview this year so it worked for me

Guest Gem2005

Hi

I was wondering if I already did a bachelor in biology, and started another degree, can I apply only with the first degree?

If not, should I wait to finish the second degree (5years) to apply. Also, if I do a masters instead, am I automatically in another category (and have to finish it before applying), or are they still going to look at undergrad?

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks

GEM

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Gem and Organic,

Like most things, the answer is "it depends". You might want to do some digging in the archives here, and check out the various schools' websites. I'm working on a second ugrad to rehabilitate my GPA, and considered doing grad work before deciding to choose the path I'm on now. For me, more undergrad work seemed to offer the most bang for my expensive tuition buck. I'm most familiar with Ontario schools. From memory:

UWO - absolutely no consideration given for grad work. If you start a second undergrad degree, marks from your previous degree will be completely ignored for the purposes of GPA cutoffs, but you can meet prereqs with previous ugrad work. If you've been granted transfer credits toward a second undergrad degree, you can apply during the second year of your second degree (provided you meet the GPA cut-off in your first year, and in the year you apply). NB: Western's criteria are changing in a couple of years.

Mac - all ugrad courses counted equally, no matter if you did them full-time, part-time, summer spring or fall. The used to give some consideration for grad work (they gave you credit for one year, at the median of the GPA of the applicant pool), but I don't know if they still do that.

U of T - special "grad pool", approx 1/3 of the class has advanced degrees (I forget who told me that, but it was somebody credible). Probably your best bet if you want to make yourself more competitive by doing grad work. On the other hand, doing more undergrad work gets more low marks dropped from your GPA calculation (provided that you carried a full course load during all of your undergrad years)

Queens - They will look at your cumulative undergrad GPA, or the GPA of your most recent two undergrad years. I forget the grad situation here, sorry.

Ottawa - special consideration for grad applicants - you only need a 3.3 minimum undergrad WGPA as long as you have all A's in your grad courses. They will then ask you for proof of your graduate productivity (papers, abstracts, etc). This applies *only* during the last year of your grad degree (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), as I recall once you receive your grad degree, Ottawa reverts to looking only at your ugrad marks.

NOMS - I dunno.

Hope this helps,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFCnArE/HNgbK3bC2wRArjRAKCZNA2pTdN7vB4+l/ZTi0xSLFEyKgCgjIV4

/k3W5VzBCv1vpJ202ph/eWM=

=lVdN

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Archived