Premed 101 Forums

END

Guest linkinpark

Huh? I don't really understand what you mean. There are certainly York students who manage to get 8.0 / 9.0 GPA's, so I find it highly unlikely that this scenario is "literally impossible".

Guest codinator

don't worry marble, i got the inside scoop :rollin

essentially, york gives out a continuing scholarship to anyone who has a gpa of 8.0/9.0 in any one year. according to york, a little over 1000 students got a continuing scholarship this year.

Guest jehohertz

I think you mean you are finding it is impossible for _YOU_ to get an 80% avg at York. Alot of people are doing it so it is not impossible. It just means if you can't you have to work harder, find news ways of studying, etc. Fine-tune your academic life so to speak.

Along the same lines when I was temping at a warehouse a number of years ago two individuals were taking about how the last years of college and university (Conestoga and Waterloo if memory serves) were tricks because there was no way you could pass them. Odd because I know college graduates and people in university graduate programs but whatever little lies they want to tell themselves.

Guest joonboy
i got the inside scoop

Hi, codinator~

I have a question for you 'cause you seem to know York very well.

I am interested in York U Schulich School of Business undergraduate program, and I was wondering what the average mark should be to get in without worrying too much.

Thanks!!

Guest codinator

actually, i don't know york that well, someone informed me of the percentage of students who got over 80%.

however, i believe the average to get into schulich is somewhere in the high 80s/low 90s. if you have a 90% average, i don't think you should worry. i know someone who got in with an 86%.

Guest PhantomPhoenix

What do u mean impossible?

I know a few people from York who have A+/A averages

You shouldn't look at the York scale...check the OMSAS scale.

In every class, there are usually always several people who get an A....welcome to the world of competition.

Guest PhantomPhoenix

And those stats that half the students get an A....is just wrong.

The TA's post the marks outside their door on sheets....you just have to walk through a hall of offices and look at the posted marks to see that the claim that half get an A is so wrong.

Class averages have to be in a certain range. The averages are usually around high 60. Smaller classes I believe are allowed to have low 70 averages but the prof has to fill out a report on why the marks were high.

Well, this whole discussion is rather silly and pointless, but just for the sake of it... :)

I don't think that anyone claimed that half of the students at York get an 8.0. The statistic that Cod quoted was university-wide. In any case, if the OP is all that curious, the Science website has a link to their "awards evening" which lists all the people on the Dean's honour roll, and you can count them. :P

Class averages have to be in a certain range. The averages are usually around high 60. Smaller classes I believe are allowed to have low 70 averages but the prof has to fill out a report on why the marks were high.
Actually, I think it's a straight cutoff where small classes don't have any grade distribution requirements; the prof doesn't have to write any note.

Large classes, on the other hand, do have requirements, of the form, iirc, that no more than a certain % of students can get E/F's, and no more than a certain % of students can get A/A+'s. The requirements aren't (usually) enforced as changing grades though--they're there so that a committee can monitor things from year to year to make sure that certain profs/classes aren't repeat offenders.

That applies to Science; other faculties may have different regulations.

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Actually there are also requirements for small classes, a friend of my family is a prof there and he had to tell his TA to drop the class one letter grade across the board before he handed back some major projects. Class size was 50 and it was a 3rd yr course.

Discrepancies are only really allowed in 4th yr courses because it is easy for them to argue that the class is full of honour students who supposedly are better students. There is apparently little control over the marks for honour papers.

The Kin department last year had to raise the average in a class because there weren't many A's and no A+ at all. That was a huge class though.

There was also a class in the Arts I forget which one, which saw there marks dropped a number of percentage points...there were alot of complaints by the class as it was written about in those campus papers. Apparently some student organizations made alot of noise about it

Guest codinator

peach is correct. i never said half the students at york got an A average. according to the stats i was given, 1000 undergraduates got a york continuing scholarship. in order to get this scholarship, one must have a gpa of 8.0/9.0, which is in an A average. i believe there are ~30,000-40,000 undergraduates.

Archived