Premed 101 Forums

Please Help me! University Decision & Med.School chance

Guest AKangaroo

Guest AKangaroo

Hi, I am a Gr.12 student in Toronto. I just registered to this nice forum and am glad to find people with the same interest as me. I need some help deciding which university to get my bachelor degree for medical school and what my chance of getting into a medical school 'might' be if I continue my effort.

It might sound stupid, but I am afraid of living outside of Toronto, because of the fact I am not fully social i think...

I reallly really need somebody's, anybody's help. Please just tell me any of your opinion. I don't want to be criticized for showing my marks, though.. It's just for you to help me making my decision... I would appreciate any opinion..

My marks (though difficulties will vary between different high schools):

Chemistry 95, Accounting 96, International business 96, World Issues 85, Calculus 100, Geometry and discrete math 97, Physics 100, English 90

Acceptances:

1)University of Toronto - Chemistry

= Total $5,000 scholarship ($2,000 first year)

2)University of Western Ontario

- Medical Science + AEO (Academic Excellence Opportunity to HBA (Honours Bachelor in Business Administration)

= Total of $13,250 scholarship ($5,750 first year)

3)York University - Biology

= $6,000 first year

I am deciding on between UofT and UWO. UWO is really attractive because I am still deciding whether business or medicine is right for me. Also, I want to study business a bit even though I go into medicine.

But, UofT.. it is close to home and I don't have to pay extra $ for residence.

I am confused!

Also, this AEO program (you might not know what it is), you study 2 years of medical science, then 2 years of business administration. Then you get a Honours business degree. There is a concurrent 5 year program that combines H.B.M.Sc and H.B.A. This is a really good program, actually Ivey school of business at UWO is the best business school in Canada by many magazines and in 20th in the world.

Please help me in this decision....

Also, if I continue my effort academically, and volunteer as I have been (2 1/2 at home for the aged, and various activities) plus athletic clubs (badminton, hockey), do I have a chance to get into medical school.

I heard one of my friends saying even though one student got 4.0GPA, becuase she did bad in interviews, she got rejected. It is really hard to believe but...

I am an immigrant here in Canada and not fluent in English, my accent is still there though I try hard to change it.. aghh;

Do this interview take a high part of admission decision? Wouldn't it be enough to have good GPA, volunteer work, employment, club activities, even though you get shy and frozen in interview?

Please answer my two critically important questions.. I have no one to ask.. since they all get messed up too... its really hard decision...

Guest caliente

Interviews are very important at most schools. Also, keep in mind that almost everybody interviewing would be considered, by others, to be a "good" or even "excellent" candidate in terms of marks, research, volunteer work, or extracurricular activities.

I think a bad interview can really hurt you. Off-hand, Toronto is the school I think that places the least weight on the interview at ~20%. This is still a substantial portion, though.

I would suggest going to UWO/business to keep your options open IF AND ONLY IF you actually like business. I don't know what you mean by "not fully social", but I think for this situation, you should talk to your family, high school teachers, and friends who actually know you and your likes/dislikes/habits.

Guest happyshortie

Hey,

I couldn't help but put in my comment. I know you are interested in U of T & UWO. But have you ever considered York??? I'm a 3rd year York student. I absolutely love it:) !!! York's science doesn't hold as much of a reputation as other universities but I think it offers tons of opportunities here. Best of all, you don't have to leave the city. Since York is in the same city as U of T, most science students choose U of T for its great rep as so York gives a lot of scholarships to attract students. So far I haven't paid anything for my university education. Just in case I don't make it in, I won't be in debt from my undergrad degree. It's great! After your first year's 6 grand, you can get additional scholarships (some automatically & others you have to apply for) if you can maintain your highschool performance.

York gives a lot of FREE great international experiences. For example: Two of my friends are going to attend a London (England of course) Youth Forum for 2 weeks; another is going to Japan this summer to teach kids participating in Olympics for the disabled; another got $10grand US to study in the US last year, and one more is on her way to the US. (Sorry guys, I just have to brag about you guys, I'm so proud of you!!!).

York's program is smaller, but it gives lots of opportunities. The environment is quite positive. I have met a lot of wonderful people here. Everyone hopes to do well here too, but most of the people are willing to share & help one another. The profs are nice too. Research opportunities are abundant as well. I've been fortunate to work with two wonderful profs. One even emailed me to ask if I need any help with my interview and the other gave me 4 weeks off of NSERC to study for my mcat.

Two years ago, one of the 4th year's bio students at York got into Stanford med. So I'm not so sure whether where you get your university undergrad really affects your chances.

All in all, I really hope you'd consider York. If you're afraid of your social skills, come & join one of the many students association we have here or start your own interests group. Instead of worrying about it, practice your social skills. University is about having lots of fun too! You have a whole 3 years to practice before you apply right?!

But based on your academics & scholarships, I'm sure you'll do well at any uni.

Best of luck,

:P shortie

Guest Jochi1543

Go for the one with the most cash, lol. I think the $6K scholarship and the opportunity to simultaneously try both things you`re interested in - business and med - would seal the deal for me.:D

Guest UWOmalestudent

^ Agreed.

Canada does not need more immigrant Chinese/Indian physicians.

We have enough as it is, too much in fact.

Guest triplefudgebrownie

"Canada does not need more immigrant Chinese/Indian physicians."

Who the f* are you to decide that?

It seems pretty obvious to me, that if med schools are admitting international students, it's because they did better than other domestic students in the same applicant pool...

I really wish you two (UWOmalestudent and linkinpark) wouldn't post on here, because some international folks (ie. AKangaroo) could get the totally wrong impression about Canadians, because most Canadians aren't racist bigots like the two of you.

This is her/his first post on this forum, she/he definitely does NOT need any putting off. From what I've seen, her/his English is perfect, and she/he has definitely exibited greater literarly potential than the two of you.

As for the accent, don't forget that American folk make fun of your (Canadian) accent to no end, so stfu.

No offence to all the decent Canadian people about the accent thing (I personally think it's very cute)... :-) I was just trying to point out to these two morons that people laugh at and ridicule their accent in the same way they ridicule immigrants who have an accent.

Oh yeah (for UWOmalestudent and linkinpark)... if I was an insensitive, cruel, arrogant bigot like the two of you, I'd say I'd love to see you lying in a ditch somewhere dying, with an immigrant doctor next to you, refusing to save your life because you're a waste of space as it is.

Guest stepstofollow

Why are you replying to those comments? Ignore them!

These two have spent much time throughout the forums posting surprising similar posts through the threads. UWOmalestudent and linkinpark have contributed nothing to the threads they post to and are only trying to make you upset. And it worked, didn't it???

While you may be upset and want to respond - the BEST medicine is to just ignore them. They'll go away eventually once everyone stops responding to their flame posts, and once they don't get into medicine.

What they don't realize, is how EASY it is to identify people on this board....you never know who might figure out your "anonymous" identity....so triplefudge -- don't reply ANYMORE to posts like that -- just give the advice you wanted to in the first place to the initial poster.

To me it seems you are much more excited about the program at UWO, and they end up giving you more money. Those are two important things to think about. Also, perhaps leaving home would have a positive influence on your social abilities. I know it did for me. Also, it is going to be much easier (from a personal level, I can't speak about the academic transfer aspect of it) to transfer back to UofT and live at home if you hate UWO. It is true that people with 4.0 gpa's have been rejected from medical schools. However, this is potentially because they were unable to clearly express themselves or they did not have the social experience and maturity to be ready for medical school yet. Anyone, even if English is their first language, can fall into the first category and just not know how to answer questions in an interview setting. An accent really shouldn't be a problem as long as you are able to communicate with the interviewers (i.e. they understand your point). Neither school will prevent you from going into medicine, so it is more important that you decide where you will be happy for the next 4-5 years.

Good luck with the decision.

Guest PanjabiMD

Yea, you definitely seem to be heading towards UWO's program. I actually never heard of it before, and now you got me somewhat interested! I am in grade 11, so I will be in a similar situation as you in one year's time.

Personally, I don't think I will be applying to UofT next year. I would really prefer being away from home and living on my own. That is something that you have to determine for yourself. Remember, university is full of interesting and diverse people, so you are bound to meet people that share common interests as you.

You should talk to your teachers and parents about what you feel about each school. They may be able to give you more suitable information because they know you on a more personal level.

I know this is sort of silly, but maybe you should go to a school where a few of your high school friends are heading. It would make the transition easier due to having people that you know with you. Of course you shouldn't base your decision completely on where your friends plan on going, but for me, it is something worth considering, at least a little bit.

Also, did you visit the campuses? From what I understand, campus visits really help with decisions for quite a few people. I don't think you can go now, but if you did, reflect on your experience there. It just may help you out in your choice.

PMD

Guest AKangaroo

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies, except for the two...

Yesterday, I talked to my parents about it and

we kinda agreed on UWO, but I am not still sure

if I am making the right choice.

To be honest with you, one of the reasons that

I am more into UWO is that I heard it is somewhat

an easier school to get higher marks. And since

medical schools put such a great weight on marks,

I couldn't ignore the fact (or rumour) that UofT

students have hard time getting good marks.

My questions here are:

Is it true that UWO is a relatively easy school?

and UofT being a school that just gives out low marks

(especially in the first year), if there is any UofT

Art and Science student here,

and,

Do medical schools care which school you are from?

(ie. Do they treat a student from McGill or UofT differently from some schools with less reputation?

.... My guess was, in interviews especially, interviewers

are professors from the school, then it will be really easy

to give more marks to their students (ie. UofT faculty of

medicine giving good interview mark to UofT undergraduate

applicants...

Thanks for all your reply~

Oh, I visited UWO and even slept in one of the residences.

I think the atomosphere is great! However, one of other

reasons that I am still interested in UofT is that its atmosphere

is really good too.. I just like being in downtown, because

it is busy... =3

Anyways, you all read my mind well,

I can't get UWO out of my mind because of this HBA program.

It is becoming a big factor, though when I applied, it was

kind of "for interest's sake"...

Thank you !!

Guest UWOMED2005

Schools DO NOT care what school you are applying from. A 3.70 from Trent is a 3.70 from U of T is a 3.70 from MUN is a 3.70 from UBC is a 3.70 from Carleton is a 3.70 from Lethbridge.

I have no idea whether UWO or U of T is easier. The only person who could answer that question with any degree of accuracy is someone who did the exact same degree twice at both schools.

But I do think going to UWO is a good idea for you - particularly since your parents seem willing to support you going away for school. . .

Why?

It might sound stupid, but I am afraid of living outside of Toronto, because of the fact I am not fully social i think...

Getting away from the parents and living for a year in residence might be fantastic for you. It was for me - I was in a new province in a new city where I new almost nobody. But so was everybody else in residence. . . and to this day some of my best friends are the people I met in residence.

I would highly recommend to anybody that doing university away and living in residency is one of the best experiences you can have. . . though is not always doable. In med school, I noticed a fairly large difference between those who went away for undergrad and those who stayed at home and commuted. . . the latter group essentially did 'High School' all over again for a second time.

If you are fortunate enough that your parents will support you going away for university, do it. You won't regret it if you approach the experience with an open mind. . . and you can always go back to Toronto any weekend to visit. :)

Guest UWOMED2005
I heard one of my friends saying even though one student got 4.0GPA, becuase she did bad in interviews, she got rejected. It is really hard to believe but...

That is an entirely believeable scenario. It's not about 'earning' your spot in medical school, it's about being a good applicant. And having a 4.0 doesn't guarantee that someone is a good applicant. That's just the way it goes. . . you just have to work hard, do your thing, and hope you're a good applicant in the eyes of the med schools you apply to.

You can't do more than that!

And don't worry about the accent and English as a Second Language. . . I have at least one classmate from medical school who had a fairly thick accent and whose citizenship was granted while in medical school (they applied with landed immigrant status.) Their communication skills are great though and they had to pass the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT like everyone else.

Guest UWOmalestudent

"It seems pretty obvious to me, that if med schools are admitting international students, it's because they did better than other domestic students in the same applicant pool..."

Or maybe since universities are publically funded, unlike the US, there is not alot of room to make money.

So, by admitting foreign students who pay 3x as much, they make some profit.

Sometimes I hate being right.

Bottom line, if you are Indian or Chinese, you don't belong here. Go back where you belong.

Guest JiJi

Sounds like you have already made up your mind...

I have a business background too, and I really like the jobs that are out there while I was doing my co-op placements.

You should think about your career as a SUV, as technology gets better people will be working far later into their lives, so it never hurts to have another option!

Also, I don't like to say this, but you have to make contengencies just in case you find out med school is not for you 4 years from now... in this situation, would you prefer to have a career in Chemistry or Business? Business seems more flexible, as there are many directions you can take it after graduation, I have no opinions on Chemistry.

Guest UWOmalestudent

"Oh yeah (for UWOmalestudent and linkinpark)... if I was an insensitive, cruel, arrogant bigot like the two of you, I'd say I'd love to see you lying in a ditch somewhere dying, with an immigrant doctor next to you, refusing to save your life because you're a waste of space as it is. "

So your true colours finally come through.

See. Deep down inside, you are no better than me.

You are in medicine for the money, nothing more. 'Helping people' is just an added bonus.

Guest Avi44

Congrats AKangaroo on your achievements. Also, if you live "close" to UofT, dont forget to account for the travelling time to/from school. My cousin attended UofT and lived at home for the first year, but had to move out for second year because she was spending 3+ hrs on commuting every day. Also, I've heard many good things about UWO. It has a really nice campus for sure. If you don't mind me asking, what high school did you attend this year? I will be attending McMaster University in September. Part of my decision was based on the fact that living away from home can greatly help you mature as a person and develop your independence.

Guest satsumargirl

Hi AKangaroo,

1) Don't base your decision too heavily on finances. Yes, it may seem like a good idea to save money by staying at home. But in believe that a big part of the undergrad experience is personal growth and that is hard to do living at home.

2) Choose something you are interested in. But also consider what you will do when you are done if you a) don't get into medicine or B) decide you don't want to choose medicine as a career. The UWO business program could be a good idea.

My bf just finished his MBA at Ivey and he really enjoyed the case-based program. The program is undergoing some changes right now. I believe a joint MBA/MD is in the works and soon to be launched. So if you decide you like business and still want to pursue medicine, that could be a choice for you.

Guest AKangaroo

Hello!

Thank you very very much for honest replies.

This has been a difficult time for me since I finally had to decide! And with all of your help, I am now 98% sure I am going to UWO and start a new life.

I agree with the most of your advices that it would restrict my social life living home and commuting to UofT.

I also think UWO giving me enough money to pay for tuition and some of residence fee ..it is a good opportunity.

(THough, I am a little worried, if I go into business the tuition is $18,000 a year...)

Anyways,

One of my concerns was that if it would be too hard to study in UofT, but now I am thinking there is more to think about than toughness of the university.

What I heard was that UofT has the best (one of the best) graduate schools in the country, but its undergrauate program is being somewhat a little ignored, and students should work really hard to get professor's attention.

Being an Asian, to be honest, the name of university (since UofT is more popular than UWO) attracted me to just stay in Toronto rather than going to UWO. But, now, I feel that I will go to a place where there is more attention and opportunity for another career.

Thank you for your help.:rollin

One other questions is:

Is it possible and good to get into med. school after 3rd year?

Wouldn't it be too fast, or would selection committee think it is too fast?

Oh, I am becoming a Canadian citizen now,

today I finished my citizenship test, I finally belong here!:lol

^-^ Have a great day!

Guest UWOmalestudent

"Oh, I am becoming a Canadian citizen now,

today I finished my citizenship test, I finally belong here!

^-^ Have a great day! "

You will never belong here. You belong at China, not North America.

No matter what government documents you have, you will never belong here.

Guest harbourf

Akangaroo, congratulations on becoming a Canadian!

On your question, is it is possible and good to get into med school after 3rd year? Many were accepted without their honours, 4 year degrees. I understand some med schools will no longer be accepting 3rd year students. Hopefully, when you're in 3rd year, the option is still there. Meantime, enjoy your university years. Good luck.

Guest satsumargirl

Congratulations on your citizenship AKangaroo!

One of my concerns was that if it would be too hard to study in UofT, but now I am thinking there is more to think about than toughness of the university.

This has something to do with your learning style, not just with the university. So hard to judge which university is easier or harder. If you choose courses you like you will probably do well wherever you are.

What I heard was that UofT has the best (one of the best) graduate schools in the country,

In case you decided on the academic route down the road. The quality of your grad experience heavily depends on your supervisor and not so much the University. Although the institution is still important. It's just most people end up picking suitable supervisors and end up wherever they are. I knew someone who was set to start grad school at Guelph and ended up in Victoria 'cause his supervisor moved.

Good luck at UWO!!

Sats

Archived