Premed 101 Forums

How to improve one's Interview Skills

cclawfjj

I just had an interview for a representative position of a big club...

it was horrible. I mumbled, hummed countless number of times, sweated excessively, paused for long periods of time,...

If this were to be a Med School Interview, I would have been rejected immediately!

So any specific advice on how I can improve my communication skills?

Your school might have a "student development services" or something like that, I know at Western we do... and one of the services they offer is they have someone interview you, and they tape you... that way you can practice your interview skills, and when you're done you can see exactly how you present yourself as.

I'm pretty sure other schools might have something like that too.

I second the suggestion to have your mock interviews taped. You can try watching it afterwards but it will also be valuable to evaluate it months later while not still in the moment and see how you come across without remembering what you were thinking! If you do it through student services, they should also be able to give you some feedback but don't expect anything too enlightening rather more generic (ie. give me a firmer handshake, smile more often, etc).

Like any other skill, you need to practice, practice, practice while constantly self-evaluating your performance and trying new ways to improve your weaker areas.

You could also probably get a friend to interview you (although that might not be nerve racking), but it's one way you can practice... and I guess you could have your friend throw in some tricky questions. It's better than nothing. You could tape that too.

I like the idea of watching it later when you're not "in the moment"... gives you a much more objective idea of what you look/sound like. :)

If you have a mentor in the medical field you could get them to interview you. I was lucky enough this summer to work doing research with a brilliant woman who had done interviews for medical schools for a number of years and she was more than willing to ask me difficult questions she had asked in the past and give me pointers on my answers. I am not sure if you know anyone like that but I can tell you it sure helps to someone who hast lots of experience sitting on the other side of the table.

Best of luck!

UBCGuy

Edit - Should really proof read...

You could also probably get a friend to interview you (although that might not be nerve racking), QUOTE]

I second this idea,

I know when I was practicing it was good to have a friend or sibling to give you some objective honest feedback. The only risk is that they will be too nice and only give good feedback. What you need is ways that you can improve. This is also where self-evaluation comes into play. It sounds like you are on your way to improving because as my AA friends say "the first step is to recognize that you have a problem"

Although don't pick up drinking like some profs

GM

Archived