Premed 101 Forums

sending letters of reference

this is a really dumb question... but for letters of reference, do we just get our referees to directly mail them in to the admissions office @ schools in the states? (I ask b/c in canada every school is different - some are online, some have an additional form to go with it, etc..)

Only few schools have additional forms. University of Kentucky and Loma Linda come to mind. But the vast majority of American schools require only a letter from a prof, thus no forms! Yes, the referees have to send them directly to admissions office at EVERY SCHOOL. But use interfolio. The prof sends the letter there once (confidentially), and then you send it to every school. Costs are reasonable (5 bucks per letter package), of course it beats asking the prof to mail in 20-30 letters...

BTW, interfolio became my bestest friend in the whole process... :P

• 1 month later...
Does it matter how long Interfolio keeps your letters? I mean can you get a letter say two years before applying and put it on Interfolio, then have Interfolio send it out during your app cycle??

No, it doesnt matter. You can save it AS long as you want. Even 1000000 millions years haha. As long as you pay the yearly fee (I think its 15-20 bucks)

But I wont have a lot of letters more than 1 years though...schools prefer new letters (<1).

Yeah, Interfolio rocks! It does cost you more money than it would to give a bunch of stamped envelopes to your profs, but the ease and convenience completely makes up for it.

With US apps having screened secondaries, you won't be submitting letters at the exact same time and you don't know if you need to submit letters to particular school or not. Interfolio saves you the hassle of having to ask for letters 30 times.

If you know someone who has interfolio already, try to get a referal. Whoever refers you gets a free delivery ($5 value) and the new user gets an extra year of service ($15 value) or something like that. Either way it is worth it for both people.

Which method of adding an LOR would you guys recommend? The traditional mailing method seems good to me. I think the electronic one actually requires the letter write to have an account and to upload it themselves. How about fax? Which method do you all recommend as the easiest?

I suggest give them them an expresspost envelope (with interfolio's address written in)...with it include Interfolio's "do not disclose letter" (which they have to sign to waive your right to see the recommendation letter). So all they have to do is write the letter, sign the form and mail it...

I also suggest to tell them to type the letter on SCHOOL's LETTER HEAD from the school. But this isnt that important, as long as they have their address, phone on it...but i think it looks more professional.

Also the expresspost has a number...so you can keep track whether your PI/letter writer mailed it ;)

Archived