Premed 101 Forums

Med Student Performance Record

Just to clarify, I'm talking more specifically about the U of T one with all the little ticks in the various columns representing our ward evaluations. I can't imagine you could seriously distinguish any one candidate from another using this things unless someone did really really badly in all their rotations.

Just to clarify, I'm talking more specifically about the U of T one with all the little ticks in the various columns representing our ward evaluations. I can't imagine you could seriously distinguish any one candidate from another using this things unless someone did really really badly in all their rotations.

Hi there,

I had heard from one of my friends who is a recent UofT graduate that the UofT MSPR is relatively useless aside from the included class rank. I guess things have not evolved there much over the past few years. :confused:

At UofC the administration takes some pretty big pains to ensure a comprehensive and useful MSPR. (They have apparently received feedback from some Program Directors that our MSPRs are among the most constructive.) We have an interview with a faculty representative with whom we discuss the evaluation comments as well as school-related activities, awards, etc., that are included in our MSPRs. (My interview lasted almost 3 hours, for which I was quite appreciative of my faculty member.) That being said, UofC's class size is a lot smaller than that of UofT, so I'm not suprised that UofT does not seem to devote similar resources to construction of the MSPRs.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Yes, this is the Dean's letter. The MSPR is its new name in Canada, I think in the States they still have the Dean's letter.

Are there other schools that report failed exams? U of T reports a failed or remediated course, but not an exam. I think that's a bit excessive. Plus, they sometimes make us remediate when we've technically passed the exam, so that blurs the line even further.

Actually, in response to Kirsteen, I don't see a class rank on the copy they gave me. Does anyone know if that's just not done anymore, or if it's considered confidential?

It certainly sucks that there's such a big discrepancy between schools in the MSPR - I suppose the residency programs are used to it since they see them every year, but I wonder then how that plays into assessing the candidate. My guess is that they're not very important after all, although I'm sure if your school spends 3 hours with you exploring what to put in the MSPR that can only help in comparison to a school that simply prints an extended transcript off a computer.

Are there other schools that report failed exams? U of T reports a failed or remediated course, but not an exam. I think that's a bit excessive. Plus, they sometimes make us remediate when we've technically passed the exam, so that blurs the line even further.

Actually, in response to Kirsteen, I don't see a class rank on the copy they gave me. Does anyone know if that's just not done anymore, or if it's considered confidential?

It certainly sucks that there's such a big discrepancy between schools in the MSPR - I suppose the residency programs are used to it since they see them every year, but I wonder then how that plays into assessing the candidate. My guess is that they're not very important after all, although I'm sure if your school spends 3 hours with you exploring what to put in the MSPR that can only help in comparison to a school that simply prints an extended transcript off a computer.

Hi again,

Regarding failed exams, at UofC, we generally have one large MCQ exam for each course and the exam must be passed for credit to be received in the course. In pre-clerkship and clerkship, if that exam is failed then it must be re-written. If the second is exam is failed then the whole academic year must be repeated. With respect to our transcripts and MSPR, we are permitted one pre-clerkship mulligan, i.e., we can fail one exam and it will not appear within our MSPR. More than one and it will. This is not the case for clerkship, however. If you fail one MCQ exam in clerkship then this is automatically included in the MSPR.

Interesting that UofT does not seem to include the class rank in the MSPR any more. Two years ago (when my pal graduated) she definitely saw hers on there. Perhaps it's added after you see your MSPR?

From reading the CaRMS program pages, it seems that the MSPR has differing importance to different programs. Given the effort and material that UofC includes in our MSPRs, I'm certainly happy that they do it as 1) they reinforce awards one and activities in which we have participated; 2) they include items for which I have little excess room to include in my online application. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

My MSRP is really useless. It lists awards, research, publications and stuff, but ONLY during the medical yrs, so whatever you did before doesn't matter. It also adds in copies of all of our evals, mostly ticks in columns and a few random comments like "interested" "motivated" "good clerk"...yay. Real useful there.

A few staff have written more, but it's rare.

Here in Qc city though, we have our pre clerkship grades so i'm wondering how they will be looked at in non francophone univ where there are no such grading system...

CY

Archived