Premed 101 Forums

Mac Health Sciences

Guest Health Sci

Guest Health Sci

I've been admitted to the BHSc Program @ Mac next fall. I was wondering if anyone is also heading to the same program next year. Are there any current students or alumni in the Health Sciences programme who could offer me some advice? :)

Thanks.

Guest Avi44

What were your marks like? I will be attending Mac for Science 1 in Sept. I didn't apply for Health Science because I realized half way through the year that you need one other non-science/non-tech course a prerequisite. I have a 92.4 average this year and just wanted to compare with the other applicants.

My courses:

Chemistry

Physics

Biology

English

Calculus

Algebra/Geometry/Discrete Math

Comp. Engineering

Guest Health Sci

Hi there,

My admissions average was 95% but I know many people with 95+% averages who were rejected this year. Mac does not look solely at marks and the supplementary application plays an important role in the admissions process. It's unfortunately you didn't have that one prerequisite because you could have very well been accepted if you had an exceptional supplementary application. Are you staying in res next fall? Hope to see you at Mac! :D

Guest Spencer

Heyo!

93.4% average here with the following courses:

AP Chemistry

AP Biology

Physics

Calculus

English

Philosophy

World Issues

I was accepted to Mac Health Sci...but will be declining my offer. It's sad that they only make one round of offers for the program. For 2004-2005 application cycle, 2178 people applied to Health Sci@Mac and ~300 offers were made. Mac expects about 140 people to decline their offers leaving an entering class of 160. I got this info off the OUAC website.

Guest Avi44

Congrats to both of you on your achievements. Spencer, why will you be declining the Health Science offer, and where will you go instead? Unfortunately, I won't be staying on res, I'm renting a place 5min away from Mac. I was also wondering, whats the difference between "AP" courses and "University bound" courses? Are the AP ones harder? My school doesnt even offer them :\

Guest Spencer

Heyo!

I think we all deserve to be congratulated...for pulling through high school period. It is not some trivial accomplishment but one to be celebrated because I think all of us worked very hard to get where we want to go.

Anyway, in response to Avi's inquiry...AP stands for Advanced Placement. AP is run by the College Board in the US (the same institution that administers the SAT US college admission exams). AP courses and their respective exams allows you to gain a first-year university level credit in your subject of study. So it is more difficult than the Ontario "University" bound course curriculum. In AP Chemistry and Biology, there is about 30% extra material that we cover vs. the SCH/SBI4U1 Ontario Gr. 12 "U" course material. We don't use the same textbooks. For AP Bio we used Campbell and Reece (6th ed.) Biology and for AP Chem we used Zuhmdal's Chemistry (also 6th ed. I believe). The AP exam is written in the first 2 weeks of May and it is scored out of 5...scores are scaled so your score is dependent relative to how well other people do. Most universities in the US will grant you first-year credits for scores of 4-5 (some even grant credits for a score of 3). AP is not as popular in Canada but lately I have found many Ontario universities jumping onto the AP bandwagon. AP isn't a new thing...I know some schools in BC have had it for ~20 years now!

I will be going to McGill this fall enrolling as a student in their newly established Bachelor of Arts and Science program. It allows for optimum flexibility and a broad liberal arts education...which is what I was really looking for because as you could probably tell from my courses above...I tend to dabble in a bit of everything (but not do anything particularly well :P ). Some financial reasons also came into play. I'm just really glad I got in to my first choice and I wish you guys all the best for September!

Btw, McGill accepts up to 5 AP credits so you can completely skip first year...someone at my school did that a couple years back...I'm not as daring though :b

Spencer

Guest Health Sci

So I see that McGill has finally decided to implement Mac's Arts & Sci Program. Anyway good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy McGill; it's a great university. Do you live in Montreal, Spencer?

Guest Spencer

Hi Health Sci,

Pardon me for hijacking your thread.

The McGill Artsci program is NOTHING similar to the Mac program. I spoke with the director of the Mac Artsci program and several students...and came to the conclusion that it was not the program for me because it was too structured.

McGill's B.A.Sc program offers much more flexibility and choice...which I tend to value more. Just trying to draw the distinction between the two. McGill's Artsci program is more like Guelph's.

Don't get me wrong, Mac's Artsci program is really amazing...just not for me!

I live in the GTA area. I have visited Montreal a couple of times though...I love the city!

Spencer

Guest Health Sci

Hey Spencer,

I was by no means criticizing McGill's Arts and Science Program and comparing it to Mac's. I was just commenting on the fact that they've decided to introduce an interdisciplanary degree that Mac has had for some time. I think both programs are excellent and I wish you the best of luck! :)

Guest blinknoodle

Yeah, congratz to everyone for surviving high school..

As for specific advice, I suggest bringing an umbrella. I kid you not. It does rain in Hamilton, and SOOO many people forget to bring an umbrella in September.

That, and keep an open mind. Enjoy your time and balance academics with real life.. you will probably learn more from what you do outside class anyhow. And see where all that takes you four years from now.

Guest little endian

Hi Spencer,

I am a graduate student now, but in my first year at Guelph was enrolled in the Akademia program which consequently evolved into guelph's arts/sci degree. If your degree is anything like my first year you'll have a blast. I got to take the most amazing courses and got a really well rounded view into academic life/what I wanted to do for the rest of my university career. Good luck and congrats for getting into the program of your choice!

Archived