Premed 101 Forums

Journal - can you help me find an article that my university doesn't have?

Avinash

My University has a service on the library website, that allows us to find journals for free. However, this journal is not in the list from my university. Can you guys check your database, and possibly email me the pdf of this article (leafzfan50@hotmail.com):

Title:

Characterization of Sialidase from an Influenza A (H3N2) Virus Strain: Kinetic Parameters and Substrate Specificity

Authors: José França de Barros Jr.a, Daniela Sales Alvianoc, Maria Helena da Silvab, Marcia Dutra Wigga, Celuta Sales Alvianoc, Roland Schauerd, José Nelson dos Santos Silva Couceiroa

Journal: Intervirology

Also, mods, I couldn't find a more suitable section for this, so feel free to move or remove if it violates forum rules.

It is much easier to find a journal article if you have the date and the volume and page numbers.

P.S. Many university libraries have a service where students/faculty/staff requiring an article that is not in the library can order it (for free) through the library. However, it may take a week or two to arrive.

What I would do is first find out if your school has a medical library (I am not sure what school you atttend but if you are at UBC it is Woodward Biomedical Library) and pay a visit. There will most likely be a librarian that can:

a) Walk you to the shelf where the hardcopy is

B) Show you it on the web

or c) Order it in from another library/university

Ultimately any Canadian University is going to have access in some way or other to any journal article published, you just need to go look for it. While I am sure that someone could post it for you here with a little work it is probably better in the long run for you to learn the channels on how to get the paper yourself.

Best of luck finding it!

UBCGuy

Thanks for the reply everyone. The bad part of it, I need it by this weekend. I know, I shouldn't have left it for last minute, but sometimes things work out that way. I attend McMaster, and we have a service called RACER, but it takes 7-10 days to get shipped here, although it is free :D.

Maybe one of your classmates was more on top of things and can lend you their copy? Otherwise, if it's that difficult to get a copy of, do you really need THAT article? Or can you find different supporting literature in pubmed? If it is an article in a journal that your university doesn't subscribe to but is necessary for your course, I'd expect your prof to have put a copy on reserve, or at least have a copy that maybe you could ask to borrow.

Archived