Premed 101 Forums

Forgiven MCAT Scores

Guest maquisapa

Guest maquisapa

In another thread, someone mentioned the possiblity of adcoms 'forgiving' an MCAT score for one of the sections. I was wondering if anyone had and insight/experience with that.

I got PS11,BS13,VR10 and WS = M

I want to apply to as many CDN schools as possible next year, but i know UWO and Queens have had at least N minimums. I checkd the UT website and it appears that now they too ahve a N minium.

Does anyone have any idea about how likely i could get my WS 'forgiven' and get an interview at those schools?

Thanks!!

Guest scrubbed

Hey there,

Based on what I have read, the cutoffs at Queen's and Western are absolute. Thus, I don't believe that you will be able to be successful based on this year's cutoffs.

I've heard, for the three numerical mark sections at least, that Toronto can be flexible if a score is one point below the cutoff, though I don't know if this applies to the writing sample. I would contact the school to find out for sure.

That's too bad about that one score. Best of luck.

Guest cloversista

HI Maquisapa,

I'd have to agree with Scrubbed on this one. Nonetheless, those are great scores...how'd you prepare for the MCAT?

Guest aneliz

UWO cut offs are definitely absolute... missing by even one point in a single category will make your chance of interview zero.

That said, the only category you would have a problem in would be writing sample. The other scores would be sufficient to meet UWO cuts (this year anyway!).

Guest Arcados

Is there a possibility of getting the WS regraded? If so, you've nowhere to go but up.

Beats the hell out of a retake.

Guest UWOMED2005

I had friends in the exact same boat.

For most schools every section score counts. In Canada, it is generally better to get 10s across the board than to do stellar in 3 sections and mediocre to poor in the 4th section.

I do believe Dalhousie doesn't count the WS. . . but I could be wrong (I'm basing this on a friend with a WS lower than M who ended up at Dal.)

And you're going to hate me for this suggestion, but. . . rewriting and doing better on the WS will discount that WS result.

Guest maquisapa

Thanks for all the quick responses. I know my best option is to re-write the MCAT, but does anyone know of or had any experience in asking a score to the 'forgiven'? It sounds like from the posts that it's not possible at UWO or Queens, but perhaps UT?

cloversista: I took Kaplan for MCAT prep. I didn't really find their in-class sessions useful, and ended up not going to most of them. I practiced quite a bit with their sample exams and materials. My problem was I didn't really practice the writing sample much since it's hard to get actually feedback from them like the other stuff where you can just mark off your answers - which is why I choked on the real exam on my WS.

Arcados: There WAS a possibility to get it regraded but you had to do it within a few months of writing the exam. In retrospect, I should have at least tried that, but I didn't (it cost $$, and I figured it was good enough for UBC).

Thanks again for all the replies!

Guest skofu

hey maquisapa,

I had 11p 9v L 13b and i interviewed at Toronto. i was, however, told in my interview that my essay was stellar.

as far as the others (UWO, Queens) the cutoffs are absolute - much to my chagrin. Dal does not look at the WS at all, i checked into it (even though i never applied there)

all told, unless you want to put all your Ontario eggs in the U of T basket, combined with the crapshoot of Mac and Ottawa, i'd think about writing it again... ugly proposition - i know since i might have to do it if toronto denies me this year - but them's the brakes.

i feel your pain,

s.

Guest Ollie
does anyone know of or had any experience in asking a score to the 'forgiven'?

At UofT, you don't need to ask for that one score to be overlooked. Your application won't be immediately thrown away. That "M" will just be considered along with everything else in your application.

Guest maquisapa

Thanks Ollie, sounds like what you're saying is right from point 2) even though in 1) they say N is the minimum... Looks like I'll be re-taking the MCAT!

-----------------------

From the UT FAQ:

www.facmed.utoronto.ca/English/page-13-9136-1.html#adminstat

ABOUT THE MEDICAL COLLEGE ADMISSIONS TEST:

1) What are the minimum scores required on each component of the MCAT to be considered?

Minimum scores of 9 on the Verbal Reasoning, Biological and Physical Sciences sections and N on the Writing Sample are required.

2) How is the MCAT used in the application process?

The MCAT is not included in the overall academic calculation, but is used as a "flag". Less than minimum marks will jeopardize the success of the application. The MCAT must be written prior to the application deadline. Applications without MCAT scores will not be considered.

The MCAT is currently held in April and August. Only MCAT written within five years of the application deadline of October 1 will be considered. All scores must be released to OMSAS each application cycle. Only the most recent MCAT score will be considered in the application process.

Guest maquisapa

I guess I just found my own answer. Thanks ppl for your comments!

-----------------------

4) Should I not apply if I don’t meet the minimum MCAT marks?

Applicants who fall slightly below the minimum MCAT requirements, but believe their file to be extremely competitive in all other aspects may apply and will have their files assessed. Candidates should be aware that the lower MCAT scores will be a factor in the admissions process.

Guest medeng
I'm not sure, but I don't think U of Ottawa looks at your MCATs.

You are correct, Ottawa and McMaster (in Ontario) don't require the MCAT.

Archived