Premed 101 Forums

gpa vs science GPA

hippie

US schools look at cumulative GPA and science GPA, which is determined based on the AMCAS conversion scale. I don't know if they put more/less emphasis on science GPA but I think you'd have a great shot with that science GPA. Your OMSAS GPA wont be the same as your AMCAS GPA (mine wasn't, my AMCAS was way higher) so that will make a difference. Although, if you apply early enough even with a 3.56 cumulative GPA you should have a chance. The US is really more MCAT heavy so an awesome MCAT score can offset a not-so-hot GPA.

As for Canadian schools, each school has a different way they consider GPA. So you will have to go to each school's website and see how they calculate it as all of them do not use the OMSAS scale. Within Ontario, although the schools do use the OMSAS scale they still have a different way of determining cutoffs. For example, Western needs 2 years above 3.7. Queens offers two GPA cutoffs: you don't meet the cutoff for the cumulative GPA, but you may meet it for best 2 years GPA. UofT will allow you to drop 1FCE of your lowest courses for each year you kept a full course load prior to applying (assuming you kept a full course load every year).

My point is, each school has this information on their website along with stats from previous years and you will have to figure this out yourself. MCAT is not as important in Canada so your GPA will influence your application more. Except in Manitoba where MCAT is 50% and GPA is only 10%. Manitoba uses a 4.5 scale (instead of 4.0) and also lets you drop a certain # of credits depending on how many credits you have completed so your GPA will be higher than your OMSAS GPA.

OK this was long lol. I hope this helped. Good luck!

How does it work in american schools? which one weighs more?

My science GPA is 3.83

However my OMSAS gpa is 3.56

Haven't done my mcat yet? where are my best chance in Canada or USA?

I think american schools like overall score more. But 3.56 is slightly above average for American schools (average is 3.5), and probably slightly below average for International students.

To make yourself more attractive (order of importance):

1. 2. 3. High MCAT (30+) and balanced (10+)

4. Apply in the "J" months.

5. Diversify - research, volunteer overseas

Again, your GPA is NOT the problem and I know PLENTY of Canadians gotten in with your GPA. Plenty....

EDIT: Canada or America? Well depends on your GPA yearly breakdowns and MCAT breakdowns...post it so we can help...because like MADz said, the canadian schools are ALL different...

Archived