Premed 101 Forums

Numbers this year

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yikes! good luck to all of those who applied to Radiology.

Is this jump as a result of increased emphasis on lifestyle within our culture, simply due to the buckets of money they make, or an actual and genuine interest in the area of radiology? Thoughts?

Hi there,

It's difficult to say what causes these waxes and wanes within specialties from year to year. Could be a good crop of influential preceptors that year, some great conferences, or maybe even some good pushes from the bodies related to the specialties themselves. As always, however, lifestyle has seemed to help to increase the competitiveness of those specialties which tout a good one relative to those specialties which don't. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I'm looking forward to the "correction" in next year's cycle...

;)

We'll see the stats after the match...I can't believe this will be my turn soon!

Kirsteen, you're shooting for radiology? I always thought you were the plastics kind of person =)

noncestvrai

Hey again,

Revel in your pre-CaRMS days now--CaRMS seems to creep up on you very quickly!

As for Plastics, I did have a wee look at the field at one point, spent some elective time within it, and met some fabulous and quite influential preceptors, but came about a bit of a different career path.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey again,

Revel in your pre-CaRMS days now--CaRMS seems to creep up on you very quickly!

As for Plastics, I did have a wee look at the field at one point, spent some elective time within it, and met some fabulous and quite influential preceptors, but came about a bit of a different career path.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

What are you aiming for Kirsteen?

• 3 weeks later...
McGill had 113 applicants in rads this year. Had like 72 last year. That is psychotic.

Hi there,

That's a bumper number of applicants. Interesting that McGill had so many more applicants this year (given this year's events) than some of the Ontario schools, at least, (a few of which have had 90-odd applicants), since McGill and the Ontario schools had similar applicant numbers last year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Kirsteen,

I think it could be due to the fact that the francophone universities are not part of CaRMS. Last yr, because it was a trial year, not many people applied out of the francophone system, however this year, in my class at least, there are tons applying across Canada. That being said, there are also those that choose to remain only in Quebec, and thus only apply in the four QC faculties. That could explain the discrepancy. I can say that it's a crazy year for rads, that's for sure! There are soooo many in my own class, it's not even funny.

Kiel,

No i am not applying into Rads. THANK GOODNESS. I think i would flip out looking at these numbers!

CY

Kirsteen,

I think it could be due to the fact that the francophone universities are not part of CaRMS. Last yr, because it was a trial year, not many people applied out of the francophone system, however this year, in my class at least, there are tons applying across Canada. That being said, there are also those that choose to remain only in Quebec, and thus only apply in the four QC faculties. That could explain the discrepancy. I can say that it's a crazy year for rads, that's for sure! There are soooo many in my own class, it's not even funny.

CY

Hey there,

So are the francophone universities a part of CaRMS this year (like last year) or not? I wasn't really sure of that. Their programs appear listed within the CaRMS site...

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Sorry, i just reread my post - i meant to say that it's due to francophone universities being NOW (not NOT) a part of CaRMS. Wow, I can see how that caused confusion.

Yay CaRMS! Definitely does make things easier for us students, b/c of the fact that french univ usually had an earlier answer than CaRMS and if we said yes to french univ, then we were removed from CaRMS....

CY

well folks it looks like the queen's rads invites are out now... we'll see how many they choose to interview out of those 90!

tink

Hi there,

Queen's interviewed 32 folks last year, but that was from an applicant pool of 60-odd.

Also, in the spirit of this thread, UBC released their invitations this week.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

So it looks like some more of the rads programs are starting to come out of hiding and send out their offers...

Manitoba

Queen's

McMaster

Toronto

Ottawa

All I can say is it's a gut-wrenching year to be applying to DI...:eek:

Hi there,

Add Dalhousie to that list as well.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey there,

Looks like the last of the Rads interview notifications were released today, courtesy of MUN.

Seems as though it was a cracker year for Rads this year. How did everyone do re: snagging interviews? Was there anyone out there who managed to secure invitations across the board?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey there,

I may seem elusive, and actually, I am. I'm one of the few folks around here who uses their real name and for a number of reasons, including that and being just a titch superstitious, I'd rather not mention much about my CaRMS-y progress until I've (hopefully) matched. :) Suffice to say, I know many different folks who are applying to many different specialties so I've heard a fair bit about their experiences in addition to knowing about the ones on this side.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen,

I can understand you being superstitious, however I have to agree with oz. How about everyone tells you about their interviews if you share too? Just a thought... ; )

By the way, I'm confused about MUN. I contacted them yesterday and they said they hadn't finalized the list of folks for interviews yet...

tink

Hey there,

MUN have figured out at least part of their interview list, then, as they began to send their interview invitations out on Monday--I received one first thing that morning.

As for my curiosity re: interviews, it's more the numbers of interviews I'm wondering about as opposed to actual places off to where folks might be jetting. Most of the Rads applicants I've spoken to on this end have received very few interviews, i.e., 3 or less, and I was hypothesizing that this might be due to the large number of applicants this year. Hence, the root of my question as to whether anyone has received interviews across the board, or perhaps, more specifically, invitations to greater than 50% of the Rads programs to where they applied.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived