Premed 101 Forums

Rural family medicine?

fattony

The other day I heard some rumors from someone who knows a first year resident in rural alberta north, they said that some of the residents there are unhappy with the program. I heard that the program director has not supported some residents in getting 3rd year spots and that the program no longer pays for all mandatory travel. She also said that they make it hard to take all their vacation time in the first year. Has anyone else heard anything? Is this the same for rural south?

Hi,

I have spoken to many residents from Medicine Hat and Lethbridge. I have only heard great things about the residency program for Alberta South. The residents have a lot of support. They get together for academic half days and get generous stipends for meals at educational events. They have travel and housing expenses subsidized. They are able to do most of their rotations around their home base (MH or Lethbridge) or they can go out to a lot of smaller towns. One mother chose to stay close to MH while another single resident was going all over the region for rotations- even out to Whitehorse for a rotation. Residents are not needed for service and one told me that this means she gets more time to learn (instead of doing scut work). I haven't heard from a lot of the Alberta North residents though.

Ruraldoc

Archived