Premed 101 Forums

Clerks/Residents Rotation in Iridology??

Hi all,

I was recenty speaking with a co-worker about iridology. She said that her father in Saskatchewan (Saskatoon, I think) went to see an iridologist and she asked if it would be alright if the resident observed. The iridologist said it was now mandatory for all residents to perform a rotation in iridology.

Is this true? Would this be in clerkship or in residency? Would it be an elective or a selective? Or is it specific to a certain residency program?

As a first-year medical student, I admit that I am not the most knowledgeable person in regards to your question. However, as far as I understand it, iridology is not a mandatory clerkship rotation. The core clerkship rotations are Anesthesiology; Family Medicine ; Emergency Medicine ; Internal Medicine, including Geriatrics and Neurosciences ; Surgery , Obstetrics & Gynecology ; Pediatrics ; and Psychiatry.

As for Residency programs, I know even less about those. However, on the CaRMS website, there is no mention of iridology in the UofS Opthamology program description. Needless to say, this does not mean iridology is not something that is taught as an extra option. It simply suggests that iridology is not a mandatory part of everyone's training.

To add, I find it rather unlikely that iridology would be mandatory, seeing as it is mostly considered complimentary/alternative medicine, and is not proven to be a fully effective diagnostic method.

Anyway, hopefully a more knowledgeable resident or medical student will add their thoughts. If you are really, really curious, it's best if you simply contact the medical school itself.

Hey there,

Was just checking in on the old premed forum I used to hold so dearly. May as well answer a few questions while I'm here. I convocated from U of S medicine in 2005 and am doing a family med residency. As for iridology being required, I would think that would be for opthalmology residents only. To be honest, I'm not even sure what iridology is! Shows how much I know. But I can say for sure that it is not part of the clerkship year, nor any residency that I am aware of other than maybe optho. Hope that helps.

Rod

Archived