Premed 101 Forums

Residency contracts in Ontario vs. Alberta

Nikhila

Hi everyone,

Do people have any info regarding the benefits included in the residency contracts in Ontario vs. Alberta? The general opinion I have heard is that there are better benefits for residents in Alberta (specifically, mat leave, drug coverage, dental and glasses coverage, salary) vs. those in Ontario.

I'm not sure if there is a previous thread discussing this, knowing the depth of this forum, I'm sure there is but I just haven't found it :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Nikhila

Hey,

Details concerning the PAIRO contract can be found here:

http://www.pairo.org/Content/Default.aspx?pg=1003

I think that the salary and benefits in Ontario are pretty sweet, but that wasn't something that really had much sway in making my final decision as to where to go for residency, though I must admit that the prospect of making 10K less in Quebec per year was definitely a drawback of doing residency in that province!

...and here is the link to the PARA (Alberta) contract:

http://www.para-ab.ca/content/0_home/home.asp?pc=0&flash=1

One major difference between the Ontario and Alberta contracts is that qualified Alberta residents are allowed to moonlight--this is not the case in Ontario. I haven't yet compared the contracts side-to-side otherwise, but it would be an interesting exercise to undertake. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...
What kind of moonlighting activites would residents typically engage in???

Hi there,

Generally, it's only certain residents, i.e., who have completed a specific combination of rotations during their first two years of residency, who can moonlight. What they can do is pick up extra call shifts and are paid relatively handsome hourly rates for doing so. I know of a couple of residents who have doubled and tripled their resident salaries by doing this. On the flipside, they have less free time and obviously, more call, relative to other residents in their programs.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived