Premed 101 Forums

wGPA of 3.70 too low to apply?

According to U of O's posted admission eligibility criteria, a student applying to the graduate stream must (among other things):

Have an undergrad wGPA of at least 3.5

Have maintained an average grade of A (85%) or more (final mark) in their graduate courses

They also state they will not consider one-year Master's in this stream...fyi, since 1 year master's seem to often come up in these conversations as options. It doesn`t appear to be an option at Ottawa.

http://www.medecine.uottawa.ca/admission/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

According to U of O's posted admission eligibility criteria, a student applying to the graduate stream must (among other things):

Have an undergrad wGPA of at least 3.5

Have maintained an average grade of A (85%) or more (final mark) in their graduate courses

They also state they will not consider one-year Master's in this stream...fyi, since 1 year master's seem to often come up in these conversations as options. It doesn`t appear to be an option at Ottawa.

http://www.medecine.uottawa.ca/admission/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

Having an average of 85% (e.g. an 82 and and 88) is different from having an A in every course. The grad transcript from my school does not even have a raw mark on it, it just says A or A+ or A-.

Ottawa is damn competitive.

From mdapplicants.com, I've seen two people who have been accepted to Harvard and Johns Hopkins but were rejected pre-interview from U of Ottawa Med

One reason is because they do not require the MCAT, therefore EVERYONE applies. Also, Ottawa seems to be very specific as to who they accept.

• 1 month later...
Ottawa is damn competitive.

From mdapplicants.com, I've seen two people who have been accepted to Harvard and Johns Hopkins but were rejected pre-interview from U of Ottawa Med

Damn competitive or just an odd/random evaluation system?

You wonder why an applicant deemed acceptable for admissions at a top tier institution like Harvard or Johns Hopkins is rejected pre-interview from U of Ottawa.

Archived