Premed 101 Forums

Practice Interview ?

• 3 weeks later...

I heard a rumor that the med1's are doing mock interviews, but I don't think they are free. I am too far out of the loop to know anything else about it or if it is still happening or not. Ask around and find out what's the deal with it.

At this point in time, I think it's all up in the air still, with regard to whether or not its going to be available free or if there will be a donation or fee. I think most in our class are thinking that it will be a donation type service, with the proceeds going to help build schools in Africa if I recall correctly. More information will be available after the orientation night, I presume. There's also going to be a contact list given out that night with the names and emails of people who are willing to help out with questions, and I'm sure many of them would be more than willing to help out with interviews.

At this point in time, I think it's all up in the air still, with regard to whether or not its going to be available free or if there will be a donation or fee. I think most in our class are thinking that it will be a donation type service, with the proceeds going to help build schools in Africa if I recall correctly. More information will be available after the orientation night, I presume. There's also going to be a contact list given out that night with the names and emails of people who are willing to help out with questions, and I'm sure many of them would be more than willing to help out with interviews.

Thanks for the info! :o

I e-mailed the Mock Interview service and this was their reply.

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest in this program. The following are price quotes

for various interview packages:

One-on-one interview = $50

3 person panel interview = $120

**Guarantee Acceptance Package** 3 person panel + 1 person observer = $250.

To be eligible for this package you must have at least a composite 9 MCAT

and a 3.80 AGPA. (U of M only)

- There is a $40 credit bonus for anyone who refers another applicant for at

least a 3 person pabel interview

- Interviews are offered primarily anytime on the weekends, however,

weeknights can be arranged if necessary

Note - all interviews will include:

60 minutes of actual interview with 30 minutes for feedback and questions

that you may have

Question package, U of M information package, as well as a helpful hints

package

An audio tape of your interview session

Tour of the Brodie with possible interview rooms (offered by request only)

All interviews will be conducted by University of Manitoba Medical Students

who were ranked in the 1st quartile of the interview process. We highly

recommend that all students treat this process as if it were the actual

medical school interview. Please provide us with your essay prior to your

interview date and come neatly dressed to your interview as you would for

the real interview.

The locations of interviews have yet to be determined. Once a date for the

interview has been set, the location will be determined depending on

availability and we will inform you as soon as possible.

**Guarantee Acceptance Package** - Refunds will be assessed once an official

University of Manitoba letter has been provided to the committee. If such a

letter has been lost or cannot be obtained, the committee will not refund

your money.

If you would like to schedule an interview please reply to this email with

three dates and times that are suitable for you. We will do our best to

accommodate you.

Also, if you are interviewing out of province, they will try their best to simulate that. <-- they said that to me too.

that's kind of expensive but i suppose you are taking up 1/3/4 people's time for atleast 1.5 hours. its certainly interesting but i think i'll just prepare without this service. I think i can scramble up a couple free mock interviews.

this guaranteed acceptence is fairly interesting too. So are they really confident that anyone with 9's and 3.8 (assuming 1st quartile interview) will get in? I would have thought 9's and a 3.8, even with good interview, would probably be waitlisted (maybe 2nd acceptance).

edit: just went through back threads in uofm, noone with lower than 9.5 mcats were accepted (i think 4.0 gpa) tho there was rumor of a 9.0 and 4.1 gpa

I know of 3 ppl that got in with MCAT's around 9-9.5 and AGPA's of around 4. I know someone who had a 11.5 and pretty high GPA who got waitlisted. I thought this guy would of aced the interview but even the best can choke under the pressure. The interview can make you or break your a$$. So pretty much, don't take the interview lightly. I dont care how great you think you are at interviewing, you can always get better.

I know of 3 ppl that got in with MCAT's around 9-9.5 and AGPA's of around 4. I know someone who had a 11.5 and pretty high GPA who got waitlisted. I thought this guy would of aced the interview but even the best can choke under the pressure. The interview can make you or break your a$$. So pretty much, don't take the interview lightly. I dont care how great you think you are at interviewing, you can always get better.

Very true...very true.

You are 100% right, and unfortunately, I can attest to it.

some info about the mock interviews, for those who are interested...

they're going to be held on Feb 17th and 24th. free of charge. 60 mins. there are limited spots available. medmockinterviews@gmail.com to sign up.

Will there be feedback? How many interviewers? Are the interviewers students?

Sorry for all the questions...just getting a little freaked out:eek:

interesting name.

yes there will be feedback. yes there will be 2 interviewers - maybe more - and they'll be students. i think the interview is scheduled so that its 50 mins of interview time and 10 mins of feedback. tho i;m sure if you ask nicely, the interviewers would prolly be willing to give further feedback outside of the scheduled hour.

but i think all the spots may have been filled? someone can prolly correct me if im wrong.

Archived