Premed 101 Forums

reference letters

hippie

After talking to my evolutionary biology teacher, he accepted to write me a letter, do I ask him to give me like 6 or 7 letters in sealed enveloppes ( I will be applying to 4 or 5 american universities Mcgill and University of Ottawa), and then I send them when the time is appropriate?

Or do teachers have to submit those letters online....?

The universities I know I'm applying to, are upstate, Washington state in St. Louis, and 3 other cheapest universities.

After talking to my evolutionary biology teacher, he accepted to write me a letter, do I ask him to give me like 6 or 7 letters in sealed enveloppes ( I will be applying to 4 or 5 american universities Mcgill and University of Ottawa), and then I send them when the time is appropriate?

The universities I know I'm applying to, are upstate, Washington state in St. Louis, and 3 other cheapest universities.

firstly, all canadian schools REQUIRE a seperate form to fill along with the letter. UofO you apply to OMSAS and fill out their seperate LOR form (along with the letter). McGill you apply directly to the school also has a seperate LOR form. Click on the links to open (beware of PDF).

Ok, Wash U absolutely loves MCAT. Make sure you have 10+ in each section when you apply. They average around 12.3 per section, and that is the highest in the country (according to USnews.com).

Good luck.

Letters must be sent to the school from the referee directly. For Canadian schools, the referee usually has to fill out a separate evaluation form, as sonyviao mentioned, and send it along with the letter.

There are a few ways to go about it for US schools as they dont have separate evaluation forms. Here are two ways:

1) Give your referees address labels and stamps so they can send the letters out themselves (it would be best if they used the university letterhead and the university envelope).

2) Use an online letter collection agency such as http://www.interfolio.com and have your referee send your letters to this site and you can order a set of letters to be sent to various schools whenever you need.

You shouldn't have to handle your own reference letters - the whole confidentiality thing.

Hope this helps.

Archived