Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Package E-mail.

Hi everyone,

I just received an e-mail this afternoon from University of Ottawa inviting me to send in my graduate progress package. I was just wondering if any graduate student applicants have received that e-mail yet. I read from previous posts (from last year's applicants) that they only invite about 30 grad review applicants for interviews. I wonder, on average, how many applicants go through the grad review process?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Congratulations on receiving the e-mail. At least in terms of years previous, that is quite a feat, and I'm presuming, even more so now given the expansion in application numbers. Back then I recall being told that there were quite a few grad applicants but again, only 30 or so who were invited to submit a graduate package.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi guys.

I also received an email requesting graduate application package today.

Does anyone know if the admissions office would accept a C.V. and whether I can send a copy of an abstract as published in the abstract book if I do not have the official acceptance email from the conference?

Good luck to those of you who have received an invitation for graduate review package and to undergraduate applicants who receive interview invites over next few weeks.

Question - are all graduate applicants asked to send in a graduate application package? I'm pretty sure I met Ottawa's requirements for grades, etc., but I haven't received any e-mail asking me to send in a graduate application.

Hi there,

Unfortunately no, unlike UofT, not all graduate applicants to Ottawa are invited to send a graduate productivity package. Ottawa pre-screens their graduate applicants (based on sketch, essay, etc.), selects a fraction of them and invites only those folks to submit a package. At that point, another fraction are invited for interviews.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

From the Ottawa website:

"Graduate candidates who are registered in (or have recently completed) a master’s or doctoral degree are allowed to apply to the MD program of studies provided they meet the application eligibility requirements including the successful completion of the necessary prerequisite courses (science / humanities). These applications will be further assessed as all other applications. If the undergraduate grades, once converted on the 4.00 scale meet the standard set for the current application pool, the application will advance to step 3 (Assessment of the detailed autobiographical sketch) in the selection process. If successful following the results of this assessment, the graduate candidate will be invited to an interview and the Graduate Review Policy will not be taken into account. If the application does not advance to the interview based on the results of the detailed autobiographical sketch assessment, the Graduate Review Policy will be applied, insofar as the following criteria are met....

Please see: http://www.medecine.uottawa.ca/admission/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

So, if you haven't received the package, it only means that you are not reviewed under the Graduate policy. It doesn't mean that your application as graduate student is rejected. Perhaps you have successfully passed step 3 and waiting to hear from them?! Good luck!

So, if you haven't received the package, it only means that you are not reviewed under the Graduate policy. It doesn't mean that your application as graduate student is rejected. Perhaps you have successfully passed step 3 and waiting to hear from them?! Good luck!

Hi there,

Great point! But to be fair, if an applicant hasn't received an invitation to submit a graduate package, it doesnt only mean that you have not been reviewed under the graduate policy. It can mean one of two things: 1) that, just as you said, the applicant meets the academic standards of the undergraduate stream and is being considered therein; 2) that the applicant has been reviewed under the graduate policy and has been rejected.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 year later...
I guess if you haven't received an invitation to submit a grad package by now, you are not considered for further processing?

ie. no interview??

sad...another rejection...

I assume you know this, but remember that this thread is from last year - its possible more requests for grad packages will be sent out later. I linked to this thread in the other one just because it contained possible insight into the process.

yes but grad package is a requirement for interviews. If you haven't been asked to submit a grad package, it just means you've been rejected already...

I got an interview last year while doing my masters w/o sending in a grad package...(I did meet the undergrad cutoffs tho')

i thought i just posted this?! i guess it didnt go up:

i finally actually got through to ottawa! okay, so they said that you may not have received a grad package b/c you advanced thru the ugrad admissions process. as i predicted, they look at you first as a ugrad, and if you dont make the cut there, they consider you as a grad student.

________

Chang'An Ford Specifications

Archived