Premed 101 Forums

essay format

Does anyone know what format the bio sketch should take? Should it be in the form of a business letter (ie with an address/date at the top and a "sincerely" at the end)? Should there be a header? Double spaced? Times Roman 12 font?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Definitely do not write it like a business letter. Treat it like you would an english essay. Have an interesting introduction summarizing why you're great for medicine. Then expound on that in the body. Provide real-life examples for each point that you bring up about yourself. Then finish off with a conclusion to wrap things up in a nicely. Remember to sell yourself! This is really important. If you spend time with disabled people or have spent time overseas or you've spent time in a research lab or have interesting hobbies then explain how those things have shaped you and can make you a better physician. By no means was my letter all that great, but I tried to sell myself as much as possible, and had positive comments about it from one of my interviewers last year.

In the end though, the main purpose of the letter, at least in my opinion, is to give the interviewers an idea about yourself and it gives them something they can maybe formulate some questions from. It's really hard to write an outstanding, truly unique letter, but its easy to write a bad one. Just settle for slightly above mediocre :)

If you need someone to review your drafts, I'd be glad to help.

Good luck!

Archived